Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to get an LED turn signal indicator working for both directions in the instrument cluster?

Swapped all the incandescent bulbs for LED bulbs and of course the turn signal indicator light only works one way, which I've read is because the 65 only has the 1 light and switches polarity to indicate left/right, which doesn't work with an LED bulb.

Is there any way to get this working with an LED bulb? Or is the only way to get both left/right working to switch that one bulb back to incandescent?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 65 also and when I redid the cluster I used all LEDs and also replaced the constant voltage regular, the little one on the back of the cluster. Plus, make sure you have a LED type flasher and a good ground.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I also replaced the voltage regulator. What do you mean an LED type flasher? Right now my whole car is incandescent apart from the dash cluster and footwell lights.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
They are an electronic type with a printed circuit inside instead of just a bi-metal spring resistor. I think the number is 532. I got one at NAPA.

·
Registered
132 Posts
LED lights react differently to voltage and they need a different "pulse" from the flasher. If you ever upgrade your rear lights to LED which I did you'll need one to prevent "hyperflash", that rapid blinking. Meanwhile, it can't hurt to use one. It may solve your problem.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
@gtonavy here on the board sells a special bulb that's supposed to work in the 65 dash:
1964-1966

I haven't tried it but his other lights are great so I'm gonna guess this one should work perfectly and it's only $10.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You might consider keeping incandescent bulbs in the turn signal and high beam indicators. A few years ago I changed all my dash lights to LEDs including those two and it was great until I drove it at night. Those two are bright enough at night to be distracting, enough so that I had to pull my instrument cluster back out and put incandescents back in those two sockets.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Is there any way to get an LED turn signal indicator working for both directions in the instrument cluster?

Swapped all the incandescent bulbs for LED bulbs and of course the turn signal indicator light only works one way, which I've read is because the 65 only has the 1 light and switches polarity to indicate left/right, which doesn't work with an LED bulb.

Is there any way to get this working with an LED bulb? Or is the only way to get both left/right working to switch that one bulb back to incandescent?
I make a replacement isolated indicator bulb for your 65.

If you install this, your front turn LEDs will now work.

Just send me a PM or e-mail.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I make a replacement isolated indicator bulb for your 65.

If you install this, your front turn LEDs will now work.

Just send me a PM or e-mail.
Yep!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts