Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks - My 1965 mustang has a 289 engine and the other day I replaced the dash bezel. while re-installing all the wires to the dash I found that someone had removed the bulb from the oil light and left it out of the dash. I replaced the bulb and now the light stays on dimly without the car running and gets brighter with the car running.
Looking at the sending unit it looks to me that the sending unit belongs to a car with a gauge but my car has a dumb- dumb light. Can someone confirm for me if I should have a different type of sending unit or if the one installed is correct? I'm including a photo of the unit that is in my car now. Btw - if I disconnect the wire at the sending unit the light on the dash goes out.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
I can tell you two things:
First, it looks just like my sending unit and I drive a '66 with a gauge.
Second, it doesn't look anything like the one that Summit sells for a '65 with warning lights.

Absent any other info, I think you're right: you have a gauge sending unit sending a signal to a warning light dash.

·
Registered
33,981 Posts
The indicator light switch looks like this, and requires no extension, it is installed directly in the block.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool - Thanks for the replies I will order the proper switch and follow up on here just to confirm the fix. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Yeah, He's got the correct one if he has the 5-dial cluster, If he's got the Falcon Guage cluster.....Then he needs the Sender for the Warning lights as suggested....and pictured above..

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts