Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Coupe /1967 Mustang Coupe/ 1945 Dodge Truck/ 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup/1940 Ford Truck
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 1965 Mustang Coupe I’m building. Factory 289 car. I’ve got a 302 I’m about to build with a T5 cable clutch to go behind it. I’m wanting to add power brakes. Not doing many mustangs in the past. Any suggestions on affordable brake boosters and master cylinders that will not interfere with the clutch? It will be disc brakes up front and drums in the back. Not looking for anything super nice performance-wise. For it will be driven more cross country rather than raced. Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I can't make a brand recommendation, other than just be sure and get a booster and master cylinder designed to work together. And be sure they are designed for the 65-66 Mustang. Not a lot of room between the firewall and shock tower.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Coupe /1967 Mustang Coupe/ 1945 Dodge Truck/ 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup/1940 Ford Truck
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't make a brand recommendation, other than just be sure and get a booster and master cylinder designed to work together. And be sure they are designed for the 65-66 Mustang. Not a lot of room between the firewall and shock tower.
That’s what I’m finding. And I’ve found a kit for $1200. And for that I’ll spend the extra and do a Mustang II front clip and just buy the bigger. But if anyone knows a way to add the booster and all and clear the strut towers I’m all ears

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I can't address your particular cable clutch, but these units do clear the factory Z-bar linkage. Master Power Brake has a bolt-in unit at $359 (shown below. Part # 15201-1.
I purchased a Trans-Am Racing unit years ago that has worked well in my '66 for 22 years.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
It's been awhile since I looked, but I was under the impression that a power booster for brakes, and a manual trans were incompatible-for 65-66. There were kits made to add a power booster and discs to a 65-66, but specified for AUTO only. The 65-66 had a "stand-off" type booster that would interfere with the clutch mechanism. Like I said, it's been awhile since i checked. In fact, I have a brand new booster/master cylinder set up on my shelf, as I thought it was imcompatible with my 65 with a 3 speed. I still have drums on that car...it's waiting for its turn to be restored and driven. Since you are trying to do the cable clutch...I cannot speak to that.....

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
My Trans-Am Racing unit installed .....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I checked NPD...they have a new offering...(or at least new to me) that will allow manual trans and power booster w/ dual reservoir...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked NPD...they have a new offering...(or at least new to me) that will allow manual trans and power booster w/ dual reservoir...

Awesome man! I’ll check it out! And this will fit for a manual transmission too? I’ve been seeing that you gotta be careful and that’s why I’m just double checking! I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't address your particular cable clutch, but these units do clear the factory Z-bar linkage. Master Power Brake has a bolt-in unit at $359 (shown below. Part # 15201-1.
I purchased a Trans-Am Racing unit years ago that has worked well in my '66 for 22 years. View attachment 750351
Cool! And this does work with a manual transmission also? Just trying to cover all my bases! I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have no experience with the NPD part...just looked it up for you and it says manual trans...so there ya go!

Reactions: Detrichs Hot Rods

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Cool! And this does work with a manual transmission also? Just trying to cover all my bases! I appreciate the help!
The unit in my car has been through a C4, Toploader and the current T5z. I can personally attest to the fit in all three configurations. Both manual trans installations were done with stock clutch linkage.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,616 Posts
It's been awhile since I looked, but I was under the impression that a power booster for brakes, and a manual trans were incompatible-for 65-66. There were kits made to add a power booster and discs to a 65-66, but specified for AUTO only. The 65-66 had a "stand-off" type booster that would interfere with the clutch mechanism. Like I said, it's been awhile since i checked. In fact, I have a brand new booster/master cylinder set up on my shelf, as I thought it was imcompatible with my 65 with a 3 speed. I still have drums on that car...it's waiting for its turn to be restored and driven. Since you are trying to do the cable clutch...I cannot speak to that.....

I've had the booster and master cylinder that Coupster listed here - and it does indeed work great and fit in a '66 with a mechanical clutch linkage with plenty of room to spare. I'm not sure how your cable clutch looks, but this booster will absolutely clear a stock mechanical linkage. My '66 is one of those with the shock towers a little close to the firewall so other booster/MC combos that people had reported as "just barely squeaking by" didn't fit for me. But I had no trouble with this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts