Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, i have a 65 mustang and i'm having some problems with my rally pac rpm gauge. When i bought the car 2 years ago it was working perfect but for the past year i have the gauge stuck at 20 rpm when the car is off when before use to be on 0 rpm. So now when i start the car the gauge goes to 30 rpm on idle which is too much and the gauge is not accurate. Any one knows what could be my problem here? Is it the gauge or something else? Please help as it's bothering me i really like to fix the issue. Thanks

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Well, has someone been playing with the adjusting screw? That's a good place to start. It's not really a screw, of course. It's more like a cam, works left-right about 90°.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, has someone been playing with the adjusting screw? That's a good place to start. It's not really a screw, of course. It's more like a cam, works left-right about 90°.
Well yes actually i did touch that small screw that's on the plastic lens but for some reason the gauge won't go back to 0. What can i do? Thanks

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
There's a pin on the back side that adjusts the zero point. If it's out of the slot, you'll have to remove the lens to get it back in. Before going to that extreme, try rotating the adjuster 90° each way, gently, to see if it will pop back in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a pin on the back side that adjusts the zero point. If it's out of the slot, you'll have to remove the lens to get it back in. Before going to that extreme, try rotating the adjuster 90° each way, gently, to see if it will pop back in.
I've been playing with that screw for the gauge to go back to 0 but no luck. I will look for that pin on the back side, i didn't know about that pin. Do you know how to move the lens? I thought that screw is there to remove the lens that's why i touched it.:mad:

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Oops. As I said, it's not a screw at all. The pin is on the back of the lens.

First, remove the Rally Pac from the car. Remove the tachometer from the Rally Pac. Remove the bezel from the tachometer, held by three screws from the back. Use a small, square pliers, and un-crimp the lens from the tachometer housing, and remove the lens. Be very careful that the tachometer does not fall out of the housing. Align the adjuster so it is centered on the needle adjuster. Reinstall the lens, re-crimp it in place (not too tight or it will crack) and reassemble and install the Rally Pac.

Reactions: ginpunk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

First, remove the Rally Pac from the car. Remove the tachometer from the Rally Pac. Remove the bezel from the tachometer, held by three screws from the back. Use a small, square pliers, and un-crimp the lens from the tachometer housing, and remove the lens. Be very careful that the tachometer does not fall out of the housing. Align the adjuster so it is centered on the needle adjuster. Reinstall the lens, re-crimp it in place (not too tight or it will crack) and reassemble and install the Rally Pac.
Wow i hope i can do this, maybe i'll try to find a video on youtube. Thanks again

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I did what you told me to do yesterday and my tachometer is working perfect now, thanks for your help. I wanna say i spoke to 2 mechanics about this and both told me that the gauge rpm clock went bad and it's not worth it fixing the rally pac. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts