Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this 1965 Mustang convertible for years and robbed parts off it that weren't available at the time. At one time I thought about making it a fastback but that would be expensive. The engine compartment looks to be solid.
1.jpg
8.jpg

I saw a Ford concept photo of a shortened 2 seat 1965 fastback and thought about building this into a roadster. I told one of my customers and he came up with these drawings. I like it now we need to find the time to build it. It will be a Mustang roadster instead of a Cobra roadster. What do you think should we build it?

11.jpeg
15.jpg

The wheelbase will be around 100" and a little metal taken out behind the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention no top, door glass or vent windows.

·
Dimples
4,855 Posts
The thing is, it wouldn't be less work or money than just restoring a regular convertible. I guess you could save money on a top, but you'd lose it on the other end plus some with poor resale.

I'm not saying don't do it, but I am saying if it's something you want to do, it needs to be because you're passionate about doing something different and that makes it worth it to you. And be prepared for the hate because lots of people won't like it. I personally don't care about that really, (as the only dufus with a flame job) but it is a factor.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I agree that as a roadster it will cost as much as a restore and be worth far less.

How about a convertible/roadster pickup/Ranchero?

Since it has no quarters you could do a Mustang themed pickup or something custom with fenders like a Model A bed or F100 unibody style.

Hybrid Mustang - Rancheros always seem to draw a crowd.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wow, that is definitely a project. It it were a coupe, I would personally feel free to experiment and convert to a custom body style or roadster. However, if it is a genuine convertible, financially it might be best to bring it back as a convertible. Then again, sometimes its best to follow your heart and get creative. Great sketches.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that is definitely a project. It it were a coupe, I would personally feel free to experiment and convert to a custom body style or roadster. However, if it is a genuine convertible, financially it might be best to bring it back as a convertible. Then again, sometimes its best to follow your heart and get creative. Great sketches.
There are parts we used on another convertible that are still not available. I would have to buy both complete sides to get it and all the other convertible parts needed. New vent windows, door glass, top and frame and all the labor involved in getting everything to fit. It would be A LOT cheaper to build a Roadster.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I did not like it based on the sketches; however, I like the proportions of the car in the photo.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,302 Posts
I like it!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I like it a lot better than the fastback, which when shortened makes the roof look too rounded.
You could also write off the cost as advertising for your business.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
IMO it looks like it got rear ended- needs to have some out of the front as well to look truly proportionate. Not saying it's a bad idea, it just looks too odd to me. Maybe you could weld the doors shut and lose the seams- might make it look more streamlined and less sectioned? Here's one already done- looks like the doors were shortened and the scoops moved to the doors too?....
1965 Ford Mustang - GT 350 Shorty Roadster Re-creation | Classic ...

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Ever since that thread on the 'unknown' prototype came out, I have been doing a deep dive on the transaxles available. Looks like the G87-20/21 seems to be the best candidate for a SBF. I'm thinking about chopping up the 67 coupe for this. Finally the scoops can scoop something. Having seen other things from your shop, I would love to see you make one of these rides.
Transaxle thread:

·
Dimples
4,855 Posts
IMO it looks like it got rear ended- needs to have some out of the front as well to look truly proportionate. Not saying it's a bad idea, it just looks too odd to me. Maybe you could weld the doors shut and lose the seams- might make it look more streamlined and less sectioned? Here's one already done- looks like the doors were shortened and the scoops moved to the doors too?....
1965 Ford Mustang - GT 350 Shorty Roadster Re-creation | Classic ...
That one ain't done right. Not enough room between the doors and rear wheels. The wheelbase needs to be closer to stock with less rear overhang for it to look right. In my opinion, anyway.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
There is actually a Miata-based kit that is similar:

At least with the Miata based kit, you would have a better suspension to work with.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Mystery Solved:
Still, I think it would be fun to do. Just figuring out the engine accessories looks like a challenge. With modern serpentine it could be managed. And a pair of aluminum radiators at the side scoops would leave the nose nice and clean. 289, of course. Modern race seats instead of the built-ins. Removable panel to get to the front of the motor.
And the Mach 2 had a wheelbase of 96". From a printout of the side pic and estimating the size of the wheel I came up with just over 93.3" using the calipers, so my mistake but pretty darned close. 97.2%. Not bad for a crap dark B&W printout.

Reactions: Huntingky
1 - 19 of 19 Posts