Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm trying to get a 1965 289 2bbl coupe back on the road. It's been sitting for 16 years. Initially I had no spark, I replaced the condenser and coil to get that working.

I drained the gas tank using a siphon pump that's meant to drain oil via the dispstick tube. I got out about 7 gallons this way and added back 7 gallons of fresh premium gas. I got it to start and it was running pretty well for a while. I drove about a mile to a gas station and topped off the tank (about another 8 gallons) figuring fresh gas would help dilute any remaining old gas in the tank.

It ran pretty well for another mile then died. It acts like it's starving for gas. It will start if you squirt ether or carburetor cleaner in the carb, but you have to pump the heck out of it and it dies almost immediately. I'm suspecting that I have a blocked up fuel line or filter. I suppose it could be the fuel pump. What would be the first things you would recommend looking at?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fuel filter. Remove it and try to blow through it. You should remove the lines and blow them with a air hose Nd check the gas you pulled out. Make sure there is no rust or FOD in it. Then move to the Carb. You can get the rebuild kits cheap.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
It could be either the filter or pump. The filter could have become clogged with debris from the tank. If it sat for 16 years the rubber diaphram in the pump probably dry rotted. I'd replace the filter for good measure and while you have the fuel line disconnected fill the carb fuel bowl with gas and start the engine. Does gas squirt out of the tube/hose? If not, the pump is bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fuel pumps like to BUILD up also. You can pull the line going to the Carb and stick it in a container and turn the key if you don't have a inline pressure checker.

·
Registered
429 Posts
replace fuel filter; use compressed air to blow out disconnected fuel lines; and blow out the carb through the fuel inlet and you should be up and running soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts