Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,880 Posts
I would be all - in for having @CHOCK at least inspect it, be sure everything is within specs, and even if it was a box from a factory power steering car (less stress/wear) the grease is still 55 years old and it should be checked for water contamination or breakdown.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Is it ps or manual? Have you tried to add grease to it and if so, did it take a lot Let's see what our resident rebuilding expert chockostang will advise.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
They last for decades and "powered" (manual) everything from the cobras to cop cars to dump trucks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it sloppy? Are you saying he box has 85K miles on it? Who rebuilt it? If it was rebuilt it.
Is it ps or manual? Have you tried to add grease to it and if so, did it take a lot Let's see what our resident rebuilding expert chockostang will advise.
Thanks for your relly!reply! Its a factory power steering car. The power steering pump, hoses, ram and control valve ALL leaked for years.. The one amd only component i wasn't going to touch was the steering box.. It seemed to work fine but after removing all the tierods it seemed lose... I have not added grease... I tried slightly adjusting the screw on top of the box and it did tighten up.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,855 Posts
CHOCK

Reactions: Mike Bach

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My box isn't as good as it can be but it's fine and I'll have him rebuild mine when I swap engines or if I decide to get a Borgeson box I'll just donate it to him. The boxes will take a bunch of type-2 grease but it'll probably start leaking out the bottom to some degree. Just be warned that if it's super worn tightening adjuster screw will only accelerate the wear and it might fail. I tightened mine down and backed off just a tiny bit. Mine still has enough teeth to keep itself....but if you tighten up and it stars getting sloppy again, or binds....stop driving the car immediately.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If you are installing a V8, make that decision before you install the engine!!!! I removed mine with a 200 six in it and sent one to CHOCK for rebuild. I could NOT imagine removing or installing a steering box in the 65/66 with a V8 in it. I did not install my original 19:1 box, I found a 16:1 box that came out of a power steering car, and had CHOCK rebuild it. I love it......yes, it takes a little more oomph in slow tight spots to turn the steering wheel/box, but the feel of it on the highway with a more steady and quicker response, it was worth it for me. As I am getting older though...........PS sound nice, but am still happy with my decision.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have removed and installed my steering box with the engine installed, which is a bit of a hassle, but doable. With the engine removed it is obviously doable.

Having it inspected and/or rebuilt is obviously a good idea but if you decide to leave it in place, at least pump it full of grease. Take out one of the bolts and start pumping grease into the filler hole until it comes out of the bolt hole. Turn the steering the other way and pump a little more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As previously suggested, have it inspected by Chock.

Easy re & re with the engine out.
Thanks Uncle Buck, thats the way I will go!
Be very pleased to help the poster.

Dan
Hi Dan, nice speaking with you! The pump will ship out today! I will get the steering box out and send it soon! Thanks alot to everyone on this thread!!

·
Registered
36,888 Posts
I tried slightly adjusting the screw on top of the box and it did tighten up.
AHHHHHH!

Before you turn the steering wheel again, follow the Ford Shop Manual procedure to the letter. Simply tightening the screw on top a bit too far can cause bind in the reciprocating ball assembly. Basically the book will tell you to remove the steering wheel, and adjust the main shaft bearing preload using an inch-pound torque tool, then to adjust the sector gear (the screw) preload off-center, again with the inch-pound wrench.

Randomly tightening the top screw can result in, well, death.

·
Registered
443 Posts
AHHHHHH!

Before you turn the steering wheel again, follow the Ford Shop Manual procedure to the letter. Simply tightening the screw on top a bit too far can cause bind in the reciprocating ball assembly. Basically the book will tell you to remove the steering wheel, and adjust the main shaft bearing preload using an inch-pound torque tool, then to adjust the sector gear (the screw) preload off-center, again with the inch-pound wrench.

Very, Very much appreciated information for all. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AHHHHHH!

Wow thanks for your reply, sounds like i will have it checked!

·
Registered
65 Coupe
119 Posts
I have a 64.5 and have the engine out with factory PS. How can I assess if my box needs to be rebuilt? I'd prefer to NOT send it away to have it evaluated. Is there a simple test that I can do?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
This is where having a helper turn the steering wheel back and forth while you’re under the car looking for loose parts. If the steering wheel has a lot of play in it but none of the other steering linkage parts are moving then it’s likely that your box needs some attention. if you move the wheel back and forth but the linkage moves as you rock it then look for loose tie rod ends or other pivot points. ie. Idler arm, control valve ball stud (if ps equipped).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.