Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking to replace the wiring (bumper to bumper)in my 65 convertible…recently pulled the heater box and figured it was a good time to do so with more room opened up under the dash. I am trying to decide between the American Autowire Kit 510125 https://www.cjponyparts.com/american-autowire-complete-wiring-harness-classic-update-kit-1965-1966/p/WHC6466/ and a combination of 2 OE kits- an under-dash kit and a CJ’s kit that I’m told should cover everything else bumper-to-bumper https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics-under-dash-wiring-harness-usa-made-for-warning-lights-and-3-speed-heater-built-after-4-1-1965/p/WUD1B/ and https://www.cjponyparts.com/wiring-kit-with-3-speed-heater-and-gauges-v8-coupe-and-convertible-1965/p/WK65H/ . The AAW kit says it is recommended for MODIFIED vehicles…does anyone know why this is? My vehicle is fairly stock…only additional modifications I could see down the road are 4R70W swap, an electric fan, and maybe an improved stereo/sound system. Does the AAW kit include everything I’d need? Fairly simple to install (not a lot of splicing/crimping, etc.?) I have a 1-wire 100 amp alternator; I’m told the stock harness is intended for 60amp max alternators. Other than that, would the stock OE harness be simpler to install, assuming I swap alternators, and still meet all my needs? Does it include everything; would I have to order some other harnesses separately (convertible top, fuel sending unit, just a few I don’t see listed). It looks like I would be spending around the same amount regardless (Over $700), which is more than I want to spend, but figure its better to do it right the first time…

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
644 Posts
I put the AAW classic update kit in my early 65, I think it was the 510125 kit. I believe its recommended for modified cars because it has provisions for things like electric fans, electric choke, better headlights, etc. If you don't have those things, it's not a big deal. The kit itself is great and comes with most everything you need, the wires are plenty long, and the instructions are clear. There is quite a bit of crimping involved and I'd highly recommend getting their crimping pliers to do the job. I'd also get some tech flex in different sizes and lots of zip ties.

It's not a terribly difficult job to do but it is tedious and time consuming. I think I finished mine in 2 weeks, working on it only a couple of hours at a time.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I really like the AAW kit you mention and that is what i have in my 66. It certainly won't work for a concours restoration but it is a great wiring package. You do have to make a lot of crimps as wires are generally shipped long (that is good so you can route how you like). You will need to rent or buy the two recommended crimpers to do it right. I ended up going semi custom and modified at least 50% of the AAW kit but it was still worth the purchase. You certainly don't need to modify their kit though.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The key question is your ability to install, understand and troubleshoot electrical. If your ability is minimal, go to a stock plug and play system. An aftermarket wiring setup requires knowledge of power, switching, and grounding and how to properly install it. I personally replaced my wiring with OE, then installed a separate fuse block with dedicated & switched power, with relays, for headlights, 2-sp fan, MSD, etc and placed it at an easy to access location. I've seen too many people get in way over there head with wiring and electrical, especially when trying to add EFI, or ECU tranny. Btw, the extras add up, like crimp tools, heat shrink, solder kit, and protective covers such as Painless. Know your limits before you dive in.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I recently rewired my under dash harness for my 66 convertible with this one from NPD: https://www.npdlink.com/product/wir...=wiring&top_parent=200001&year=1965&year=1965

It wasn't too difficult and i converted to a modern fuse box so I have accessible switched and non switched 12V sources. There are a few threads in here about doing this swap. Highly recommend the Scott Drake harness.

Also look at Randy at Midlife like Spliffy007 says. He can take your original harness and completely redo it. The old fuse box doens't have much room (if any) to add accessories. Maybe ask Randy if he can put a modern fuse box in.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Ditto on Randy. For $175, you won't find anything cheaper or better. I just got a 69 with tach from him and pages of listing wire colors and where they go. He also puts new fuses in the fuse block. If you need any mods, he can do that too and it all looks stock Ford. And he's a great guy too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the info! Due to my limited electrical experience, I’m thinking I’ll go the OE route. For those of you that recommended Randy, have you had any issues after install? I see he guaranteed his work for 2yrs. I guess my concern though is that it’s still using all the original wires...would hate to have to track down a bad connection in a couple years because I didn’t just get new wires. I found a new OE harness for $375 online...wondering if it’s just worth it to spend the extra $200 to do that. Brand is Custom Auto Wire sold through Truck Shop Car Shop in Orange, CA. Got good reviews, anyone have experience with them?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thanks all for the info! Due to my limited electrical experience, I’m thinking I’ll go the OE route. For those of you that recommended Randy, have you had any issues after install? I see he guaranteed his work for 2yrs. I guess my concern though is that it’s still using all the original wires...would hate to have to track down a bad connection in a couple years because I didn’t just get new wires. I found a new OE harness for $375 online...wondering if it’s just worth it to spend the extra $200 to do that. Brand is Custom Auto Wire sold through Truck Shop Car Shop in Orange, CA. Got good reviews, anyone have experience with them?
As I said earlier, Randy did mine a couple of years ago. No problems since. His work is top notch and will solder any splices that he has to do (common if aftermarket radios were installed), so any bad connections would likely be at the grounds. He also uses the correct connectors/light sockets. If you do go the new route, I think he may buy your old harness for a core.

Spliffy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts