Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of re-doing the wiring on my 65 Mustang, I have a couple of sets of original wiring harnesses to work from, but I really don't feel like putting one of these dirty and brittle wiring harnesses back on. I see that reproductions are available, but if you bought all the pieces (underdash, headlights, taillight, etc) it would run a good chunk of change.

Therefore, before I make the big purchase, I am wondering if anyone knows where the best deal on these new wiring harnesses is, and if anyone has purchased them before, could you tell me the quality is?

Thanks for the info! Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Painless Harness from Auto-Zone I am told is the best way to go. If you have the time and patience, make your own using the old connections (If they are still good) to save money. Otherwise, the painless ones are labelled and are high quality....for a price of course :)

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,498 Posts
Painless Wiring recently started producing non-generic harnesses for the 65-66 Mustang. Not sure about quality or price but they apparently have a good reputation among the street rod set for their generic harnesses and the cost has to be less than the suggested retail prices for the 1/2 dozen repro harnesses needed to completely rewire a Mustang. Anyone out there actually buy one of these new Painless harnesses?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the Painless wiring for 64-66 Mustang is around 580 dollars, so it not really cheap either, although probably cheaper than buying the individual pieces...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am in the same situation. I have been recommended to check out painless, ron francis wiring, and american autowire. I have been researching and I am not sure which one I am going to buy, but I am leaning towards the ron francis wiring.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
We've purchased just one harness (firewall to engine sensors) from VA Mustang. Not sure onteh price, but it fits great, even though we had to make some adjustments due to our non-stock engine. Installation and quality were great in my book, but cost is a big factor. I've done the same thing and checked prices with other vendors and just about had heart failure. Complete sets were in the thousands.....ouch. Let us know what you find out. I can see I'm not the only one interested in the outcome.

TK

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Check out www.americanautowire.com That's where I bought all the wiring for my fastback. About $600 for the entire car--customized wiring, also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts