Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1965 6 cylinder convertible, 1966 6 cylinder convertible
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 1965 convertible has a power steering leak, I think this is a fairly common problem. The control valve is leaking. My question is should I remove it and install a rebuild kit, or just replace it. It seems to be a bit pricy at over $300, a good kit is around $70. Just want to know if the kit normally will fix a leaky valve? Hate to go throught all the labor to remove and rebuild, then re-install and still have it leaking. Been an aircraft mechanic all my adult life, and was always told if you do not have the time to fix it right the first time, when you going to find time the second time, LOL. Anybody out there ever have a similar problem?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Some will say rebuild it yourself, others will say send it off. I opted to send it to Chock. He will take care of it. In fact, he can do it all, the entire set up including pump. I sent Dan my complete system and got a completely restored system back. It installed easily and no leaks.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
+1 on Chock. He does great work and will sell you the right parts to fix it like Ford intended. I have sent him 3 steering boxes for rebuild, and bought all the parts for rebuilding my 66 and 68 power steering. Also bought a great Kelsey/Hayes disk brake upgrade. he’s also a great guy. I've been to his place a couple times.

Rebuilding the Control valve is an easy job if you have basic skills which you clearly do.
In most cases the leaks are caused by the hoses not sealing. Ford used aluminum crush seats under the hose fittings. They are supposed to be replaced every time but most people reuse them leading to leaks. Call Chock, order a Valve rebuild kit and new hoses and seats. That should fix the problem unless there is actual damage to the valve.

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
I know how to do them..... and I sent mine off to Dan. Getting the "good" stuff in terms of parts has become a PITA now that Ford
is pretty much out of the parts business for these old cars.
In terms of CAN YOU DO IT, you probably would have no problem whatsoever with your aircraft mechanic skill set.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1965 6 cylinder convertible, 1966 6 cylinder convertible
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 on Chock. He does great work and will sell you the right parts to fix it like Ford intended. I have sent him 3 steering boxes for rebuild, and bought all the parts for rebuilding my 66 and 68 power steering. Also bought a great Kelsey/Hayes disk brake upgrade. he’s also a great guy. I've been to his place a couple times.

Rebuilding the Control valve is an easy job if you have basic skills which you clearly do.
In most cases the leaks are caused by the hoses not sealing. Ford used aluminum crush seats under the hose fittings. They are supposed to be replaced every time but most people reuse them leading to leaks. Call Chock, order a Valve rebuild kit and new hoses and seats. That should fix the problem unless there is actual damage to the valve.
OK, Guess I am a newbie, Who is Chock?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts