Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I introduced the car here: Out with the old project, in with the new

I've got plenty of work so I hope it qualifies for a build thread. While not as extensive as my 67 project there's still a lot of work. Finishing the interior, paint, suspension, wheels, transmission, brakes, rear end... while some of these things are present a lot will be replaced.

And yes, my wife named the car. I don't name cars. :)

I've provided links to existing posts.

I'm going to update the posts that cover each project as I go along.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Trunk Lock

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Momo Steering Wheel

I thought the wheel was pretty straight until I drove it and had to adjust the wheel. It's better now.

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glovebox

This is all that remains from the original glovebox.

New liner. It was quite the fight to get it in. Ironically I should have left it out as I need to get the heater box out as the heater fan makes quite the racket.

I'm amused by the glove box light.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cutch Linkage

I finally got the clutch return spring and of course the header was in the way of putting the spring in it's stock position. Which I found out was a hole in the shock tower.

So I made a brake and using one of the suspension bolts.

The spring JUST clears. We'll see how it does.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Rear Seat Belt Mounts
As frequently as this is asked I'm surprised there's no definitive guide on where to mount them.

I'm going to try to use the dealer guide as much as possible.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire Automotive design

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I followed the dealer instructions as best I could. Turned out perfect. Big fender washers cleared everything underneath.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Engine bay
Sometimes it’s the simple things that can make it look better.

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light

For example I tried to tidy up the spark plug wires and fix the air cleaner cover. The old cover had been bashed in because the carb had the wrong size stud. Instead of fixing the stud someone smashed the cover down. :rolleyes:

I got a piece of threaded rod and made the correct length. Took me about 15 mins which had to have been less time than altering the cover. Luckily there was a decent (although not perfect) cover in the trunk.

The spark plug wires will look better when I get around to getting some with the correct lengths. But it’s good enough for now.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Instrument Panel

I'm going to pull it apart again at some point to change the bulbs to LEDs. Going to store this diagram here because I might need it.

Electronic instrument Bottle Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument

Automotive lighting Auto part Metal Engineering Fashion accessory

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

Picked up a couple bulbs just to get them all working. Will go LED at some point.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Steering wheel

Car Steering part Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Going to need to replace the dash pad with one of the Ford tooling ones.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
And just for fun I have put together my Lust List. Things I'd like to do but don't really need to. But I want to. I do have a Must List but that's boring.

5-speed Trans T-5 Conversion

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Wheels- Tires

Digital Dash

Dash-Glovebox

Valve Covers

Console

Fuel Injection

Fuel Injection WOW (cost no issue option)

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I thought these would be completely useless but they are that bad. I can see the mirror through the wing vent and the vent doesn’t hit the mirror when fully open. I think this might work. As long as you expectations are low and you only need to see “something” in the mirror they are fine. If you’re expecting to see the other driver’s teeth in you side mirror this isn’t the setup for you.

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

·
Registered
599 Posts
And just for fun I have put together my Lust List. Things I'd like to do but don't really need to. But I want to. I do have a Must List but that's boring.

5-speed Trans T-5 Conversion

View attachment 811529
Wheels- Tires

Digital Dash

Dash-Glovebox

Valve Covers

Console

Fuel Injection

Fuel Injection WOW (cost no issue option)
I hear you on that Fuel injection WOW (cost no issue option) comment. You have to have that mentality to go that route. However, it sure is awesome to look in the engine bay and see those stacks though :D(y) . For anyone with the means I highly recommend going that route. Gives a visual punch like no other intake system can.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hear you on that Fuel injection WOW (cost no issue option) comment. You have to have that mentality to go that route. However, it sure is awesome to look in the engine bay and see those stacks though :D(y) . For anyone with the means I highly recommend going that route. Gives a visual punch like no other intake system can.
But really the port fuel injection is going to still be amazing.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
For halogen headlights these ones were pretty sad. And they look relatively new. That can only mean they ain't getting enough juice.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Grille Hood

It's time for some relays. While there are $50 harnesses are they really that different from the $20 ones? They seem to have the same ceramic bulb sockets and maybe the relays are a bit cheaper... but maybe they aren't. For $20 I'm willing to try.

Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M6W1PMK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Grille

It's really easy to get to the headlights. Just four screws.

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas

I took the socket apart to get the wires through the hole. The plastic hole protector made the hole a little too small. The wires come out of the socket easily.

Automotive tire Gas Composite material Auto part Cable

That was it for the driver side. Just plugged the headlight into the new plug. Then ran the wires up over the radiator along the original harness. I did put a new terminal on the ground but I keep that kind of stuff in my inventory.

Over to the passenger side.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Wire

It was nice to see heat sealed butt connectors that someone previously had done. That's reassuring that someone knew what they were doing.

Safety glove Hood Glove Automotive tire Motor vehicle

On the passenger side you connect the original plug to the new harness.

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Cable Gas

While I could have just plugged it and forgot it I decided to make sure it can't come apart.

Automotive tire Alloy wheel Bicycle part Automotive design Bumper

Wires all tucked back.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper Trunk

Before you say anything yes the battery tray is getting replaced soon. I just reused an existing screw to mount the relays. Then red wire to the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Tire

Pictures never do it justice but it’s definitely brighter as expected.

I haven’t found the high beam switch in the drivers footwell yet. Maybe it was removed or maybe it’s under the carpet. But that’s for another day.

UPS says my next order from Kentucky Mustang may show up tomorrow. If so I’m going to be busy for a while. I spent all my play money on that order.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts