·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Speedometer Steering part Automotive lighting Car Gauge

Tach light hooked up.

Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

Filled the steering box up. Took almost a full tube. Need to go for a drive to see if it makes a difference. It can’t hurt, right?

Product Bag Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Also got some protective caps for the battery terminals. The cutoff switch makes it very easy to work on the car, when you want to shut off the electricity it’s a simple turn and you’re good.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
But first a couple other tasks.

It was time to address the sloppy shifter. Not surprisingly when I took it apart the rubber bushings were missing. The surprisingly part is that some had replaced them with what I can only describe as roofing tar. 😐 It took a while to clean that substance off and install the correct rubber bushings. This old shifter will never be as crisp as a real transmission but that’s ok, it will get replaced by a five speed some day.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Bumper
Wood Gesture Hand tool Tool Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Aluminum can Beverage can Tin
Tableware Kitchen utensil Grey Cutlery Gas

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So I did find a little rust. The battery tray was just toast. One of the bolts just broke off but the other one put up a fight. It must have taken me two hours until I finally beheaded the bugger. Now I need to clean things up and put the new tray in. You have to take half the front bumper mounts to go just to get to one of the bolts. Hopefully never need to do this again.
Tints and shades Wood Road surface Font Asphalt
Wood Twig Artifact Art Trunk

I had previously posted my battle with the battery tray bolt. With the bolt now out of the way I could address the rust under the tray with a neutralizer and maybe some day I’ll patch the holes. This wasn’t that day. The new tray went in relatively easy after a little tweaking. This tray is a later tray to fit the earlier cars. The later trays actually fit newer batteries so it’s that best of both worlds.
Musical instrument accessory Bumper Automotive exterior Gadget Gas
Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior Bag Gas

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,448 Posts
Do you live near the coast or a high humidity area? Im surprised the chrome looks like that.

Chris

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,448 Posts
Do you mean on the mirror? I don't know the entire history of the car other that it did have quite a bit of its sheet metal replaced.
Ahh yes, the mirror and turn signal stalk. :)

Nice job so far btw

Chris

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Which I upgraded the headlight harness I noticed some worn out and incorrect fasteners. I got a complete kit and went at it. Ended up having to remove the grill too. Got everything put back together and the headlight still work. Need to get them aligned as soon as I get a chance (as in it stops raining long enough to do it).

I didn’t realize how intricate the die cast headlight parts were.

I swapped the horns from left to right. The way they were the wires were really right and it didn’t seem right.

I’ll need to go in and address the grill again at some point. It’s pretty rough. I had to re-pop rivet the vertical supports back on. But it really needs replaced at some point.

Every time you open up something on these old cars you find “opportunities“.

Product Rectangle Font Gas Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Composite material Auto part
Motor vehicle Grey Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Automotive parking light

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part
Musical instrument Grille Hood Keyboard Automotive design

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

Finally got the dash pad installed. For something as simple as that it fought me every inch of the way. It’s not perfect but it will do for now. That should almost finish up the interior aside from the door and window handles (backordered) and the quarter panels. And maybe a couple other little things. Always going to be more little things.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I’ve been trying to make the weekly cars and coffee as often as I can. It’s only a few miles away so I really don’t have much of an excuse.

The rebuilt shifter is massively better. And actually adding some grease to the steering box didn’t hurt either.

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

The next project is updating the fuel line starting with the carb end.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

And after that is a heater rebuild.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Still waiting in the fuel line but tore into the heater first.

The heater motor was making unhealthy sounds so it was time to pull the heater. The one trick I learned was to unhook the hoses from the engine, not the heater. I just stuffed some towels in the ends of the hoses and no coolant in the interior. Worked awesome! While I might be able to restore the heater I’m just going to replace everything but the core (which actually looks to be in great shape). I was kind of torn as I may put an AC but that may not be for several years. If ever. I wanted to get the heater box from my usual places (NPD or Kentucky Mustang) but they were both out. So I’m trying Classic Industries. So hopefully everything shows up and I can get it back together.

Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part Car

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Tool Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Camera lens Automotive exterior

Bumper Flooring Gas Automotive tire Automotive exterior

21 - 40 of 59 Posts