Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where any of the 65 shelbys painted anything other than white with blue stripes? I was also wondering if any of them came with a rear fold down seat or rear exiting exhaust.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
In 65, the cars were all originally white; not all cars received the blue LeMans stripes. The rear seat was deleted on all. The side exiting exhaust was called for on all cars, but I cannot say with assurity because rear exiting exhaust may have been a requirement in some localities. The that case it's likely local dealers performed the necessary modification. Off the top of my head, all the color variation, interior and exterior, experiments occurred in the '66 model run.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
289fan`s correct,
in the later part of the 65 production run shelby Mfg was getting complaints
of noise levels form the side exhaust being to high,there was a few states
that whined about it.
towards the end of production shelby was leaving the factory system in place
and just cutting the H-pipe off for the headers and shelby installed there own
don`t know of or heard of any 65`s in any other color other than white
my 65 is white with just the blue rocker stripes
and painted silver 15 inch steel wheels
Just fyi,the rocker stripes are painted on by shelby[except the logo]
and are bigger than 66-68 350 stripes
Dave

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I don't know why my earlier post had a 'mad' smiley as a post icon; had to have been an errant click of the mouse. My apologies, it was not indicative of my mood, nor intentional. ::

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
OK, Ok, this is trivial, but Mark Donahues 65 R model was painted metallic blues with white stripes to protest Shelby not sponsoring his race car. But that was painted over a white car any way.
The 66 production had more colors. Plus, they had that 1/4 window instead of the vents.
I believe there were 2 states (at least) that required rear exit exhaust pipes, but I'm at work and my SAAC registry is at home.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its interesting to note the actual number of 65's that did not come from the factory with Lemans stripes. There is a famous Freidman photo of a "sea" of 65's awaiting shipment from LAX and I believe only one is striped. IIRC the stripes became a $47 dealer option. Equally interesting was that not all dealers painted the stripes Guardsman blue....Caspian blue [darker] was used by at least one dealer that I know of. Also I would venture a guess that a large number of 65's seen striped today were not that way when they left the dealer. My 65 was an unstriped Tasca Ford car - when I restored the car I just couldn't resist!! ::

Mark

·
Registered
832 Posts
To add a little to this . Something about the rear seats. They never had rear seats in them. If you look under right side rear of the car . Up where the gas tank connects to the trunk floor. There are two indents (un-drilled) where the hinge for the trap door would have mounted. Just a little something to flush out the fakes. I hate those fakes.
jimbo

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Just wanted to ad this: NO 67's were LeMan striped at the factory. All those you see are Dealer/Owner (we're NOT talking about the super Snake here)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts