Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 21 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just purchased my father's 1965 mustang coupe and trying to figure out of the steering wheel is correct for that year. The books I looked at dont show the one he has although a few for sale cars did. I am trying to fix/add the horn and want to make sure I am buying the right parts. Also not a fan of the red diamonds and want to remove, bjt if not correct for the car may possibly replace steering wheel.
Thanks all, look forward to adding and contributing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,224 Posts
That looks like the standard Grant woodgrain steering wheel but somebody has glued rhinestones onto the silver "rivet" heads. I have that steering wheel in my '65 and I don't know where the term "finger chopper" comes from. I haven't lost any fingers to it.

If you decide to keep it DO NOT buy a Grant installation kit. It is absolute JUNK. Buy a GT Performance installation kit instead.

You will also need the GT Performance 3-bolt horn button of your choice.

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
I had one back in the day and when it would return to center... well let’s just say I almost couldn’t count to 23 after a couple years. Those spokes are mean.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
The last pic could also be an example of what happens when you mix 64 1/2 and 65 parts with regard to the steering wheel. Note the slight misalignment between horn ring and wheel.

·
Registered
506 Posts
And here's the 65-66 Woodgrain wheel that aftermarket wheel is unsuccessfully trying to emulate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its looks like some wheels have the horn/assembly on top, while picture from last poster shows buttons behind wheel. Is this a pony interior pr a GT variation?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found this wheel (any comments apprecoated).
Now need to find the rest of the pieces, including the horn buttons which I could use some help with (want to make sure it lines up correctly). Is there a way to make sure this is a 1965 (and not the 64 1/2). I do notice the top spokes on some wheel look more like a "T" then a "y"
Any help on necessary parts would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a few horn pieces online, hoping to stay oem (thinking may need to buy the parts kit though).
Any advice?
Looks like second to last picture is of the "t" variety and I am assuming for a 64 1/2.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
The wheel you bought looks like the wood grain wheel that came with pony interiors or as an option.
NONE of the horn rings you showed work with that wheel. they all work with the standard solid color wheels.
You need the horn ring that goes behind the wheel.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Its looks like some wheels have the horn/assembly on top, while picture from last poster shows buttons behind wheel. Is this a pony interior pr a GT variation?
The 65-66 "wood" wheel was included with deluxe interior. It was optional on any 65-67 Mustang. It had nothing to do with the GT, other than being a popular option with GT purchasers.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
I found this wheel (any comments apprecoated).
Now need to find the rest of the pieces, including the horn buttons which I could use some help with (want to make sure it lines up correctly). Is there a way to make sure this is a 1965 (and not the 64 1/2). I do notice the top spokes on some wheel look more like a "T" then a "y"
Any help on necessary parts would be appreciated.
The deluxe "wood" wheel will not work on a "64 1/2" due to differences on the horn slip rings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Super helpful. So look i am going to need a horn ring like the picture below (aftermarket). anyone have a connection/source for a factory one please let me know. Next will need to work on the horn assembly/parts - assuming order from the magazine but would love a factory middle cap.

Appreciate all the help, I know some of these questions are novice level (my level but hope to keep learning more). Been super busy, but for now want to get the steering wheel and a working horn so I can get it inspected (winter so it's not going anywhere until the salt is off the street either way).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
The woodgrain wheel without the horn ring and additional parts it needs you would be better off getting a new complete orig style woodgrain steering wheel assembly thru npd or cjpony or Harris mustang supply in charlotte n c 704 598 1412 for around 360 with cap

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have this cap (not sure if it is the correct one for the new wheel I want to buy posted above). If I can use the cap then just need the horn kit (and will buy oem wheel and aftermarket horn ring). Would be around 200 all in at that point.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
I have this cap (not sure if it is the correct one for the new wheel I want to buy posted above). If I can use the cap then just need the horn kit (and will buy oem wheel and aftermarket horn ring). Would be around 200 all in at that point.
It is not.

1 - 21 of 25 Posts