Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to identify this shifter in the last 3 pics. The seller said it came off his 1966 toploader 3 speed.

The first 4 pics are of my 3 speed toploader 1965 off my 6 cyl. (got pics of Ebay, but exactly like mine)

Please let me know and thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Last one looks like the one year 69 design. I have never seen a 69 3 speed shifter. If that shifter only has to levers then that is a 69 3 speed. 3 levers and it is a 69 4speed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replys! My 65 6 cyl 3 speed trans was tired, so I found a 66 6 cyl 3 speed trans with that shifter on it. It is stamped FOMOCO and definitely has a smaller shifter rod that is different than a 65. I would think they were the same...65 and 66. All I know is that using my shift rods from my 65 with his engine and trans in my mustang now , one shifter rod gets hung up and the shifter is stuck. So, I will change my rods to his rods and see what happens. I will repost results. Chris in TX

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Damn, I can't read... Ford 4-speed shifter with a 3-speed handle and knob?

+1 the last one is a '69 THREE speed shifter . Avoid it as it is a POOR design compared to the original 64.5-68
design. Yes the '69 4 speed was VERY similar looking and just as bad.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the shifter rods for (top) 65 and (bottom) 66 with the 69 3 speed shifter. I am using my 65 3 speed shifter, but not it only goes up and down-vertical, not side to side-horizontal.

Attachments

·
Registered
33,629 Posts
Here are the shifter rods for (top) 65 and (bottom) 66 with the 69 3 speed shifter. I am using my 65 3 speed shifter, but not it only goes up and down-vertical, not side to side-horizontal.
That would make sense since the '65 6-cylinder and '69 6-cylinder used different transmissions (2.77 vs 3.03 inch).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts