Vintage Mustang Forums banner
261 - 280 of 888 Posts
Discussion starter · #263 ·
It was the intake. Most of the vintage guys run the Stealth intake and the MSD distributor with no issue. The Stealth doesn’t have the huge pad up for the COBRA letters.

Don’t get me wrong...I am a huge supporter of the OEM Ford HiPo dizzy. Mine performed flawlessly all last year thanks to Dan and the Mustang Bran. That man can build a Performance distributor.

It was the intake. Most of the vintage guys run the Stealth intake and the MSD distributor with no issue. The Stealth doesn’t have the huge pad up for the COBRA letters.
Yeah, the vintage guys know what works. That’s why we use the RED MSD.

Mark

Don’t get me wrong...I am a huge supporter of the OEM Ford HiPo dizzy. Mine performed flawlessly all last year thanks to Dan and the Mustang Bran. That man can build a Performance distributor.
Dremel to the rescue.

I think it's past time that @Russstang started building a racecar, oh wait, I spelled that backwards...

Allen
I’ve got a pretty, pristine 65 fastback shell right now. It’s as much racecar as it is anything.

Can’t, wife read this over my shoulder and I’ve gotta go stop a nosebleed....
Instead of a t-shirt, maybe I should send you a pair of pants...

For the record, if my wife ever saw this remark, I wouldn't even be able to be on this forum anymore... :LOL: :LOL:

Allen

Mine just told me that if I just kept it off the road and drove it on the track she didn’t care if I turned it into a racecar. Not willing to do that, I want to drive it everywhere, but maybe I’ll broaden my view on how I do it now. It does look pretty cool with no backseat in it......
Peer pressure, it’s a thing.....

Discussion starter · #278 ·
It’s definitely a trade off. There’s nothing wrong with building a car you can drive on the street and track. The problem is you will need some safety features...simple roll cage at a minimum. No harm there so long as you remove the rear seat. You are going to want a decent suspension and brakes for the street or the track...so not a huge difference there. You don’t need 400HP to have fun...lots of Miatas on the track. The biggest issue is once you get on the track, it’s like a drug. You want more and more and before you know it, you have a full boogie race car on your hands from all the mods you have made to go faster.

Then you just build another car for the street.

Yeah, I remember way back in 2005 when I had finally finished my 8 year restobuild. The car was for street and track driving. Then I ran autox for 2 years to shake it down, work on my car control skills. Then I went to a track weekend at PIR in Portland, OR. I ran track days and HPDE’s for the next 6 years and was quite happy.
Then one day a buddy calls me and says come race with us in ChumpCar. It’s been W2W ever since. Of course, going vintage racing meant I had to make a few more changes to the car. Those changes turned it into a track only car. So now it sits patiently in the garage, plotting it’s next malfunction just before or during the next race weekend [emoji23]

Mark

261 - 280 of 888 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.