Vintage Mustang Forums banner

121 - 140 of 230 Posts

·
Spammer Hammer
9,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
The SPI is great. Full disclosure. A few spots screwed up. I don’t know what caused it. Everything was cleaned three times with WGR and I let it dry for one hour and dried it with air prior to spraying. One area has some fish eyes. One area looks like it almost melted off. I chalked it up to inexperience and ... race car. I called and talked to Rusty Gillis to ask how he got his engine compartments to have a higher sheen. He said lay it on wet. I guess I laid it on too wet. I don’t know. It’s not horrible and 95% looks good enough. It’s not a show car.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,755 Posts
I like SPI black but I have found you have to be cautious with how heavy you lay it on, especially the first coat. It looks like fish eyes, but it's not. I have never gotten it with any other brand of epoxy or primer I've ever used. And I find it's more prevalent with SPI's black. I think Barry says to use a medium wet coat on the first coat. He also says he likes to let his epoxy induce overnight before spraying. There's some good info on his forum. Josh @Lizer was the guy who I've heard initially explain what happens to the epoxy when you put it on too wet.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,407 Posts
This is the face I make when you guys talk in depth about stuff like this. My body guy painted my car. It’s shiny and deep looking....

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
Looks like a good day. Patrick, when I installed my roller perch's Shaun's instructions stated to install them with the spring stop tab facing out. Whereas I see yours are facing in. Is that the preferred orientation for a track car versus street use?

·
Spammer Hammer
9,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Good question. I installed my single rollers on the GT with the tab out. I believe that’s how the shop manual shows it (going on memory). However, both have a slight interference with the frame. The forces in the suspension are enough to overcome the interference, but still not ideal.

So I asked John about orientation before I installed these. He said the tab goes in. If you look at the spring perches, you will notice that one side is flat at the edge and one side is curved at the edge. The side with the curved edge goes towards the ball joint for clearance which is opposite the coil spring stop tab.

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
I just checked the shop manual and from the factory the tab is facing inside. I hadn't noticed the curve in the perch so just checked mine, I see what you are talking about. I can still easily put my fingers between the perch and ball joint, theres roughly 1 to 1-/1/4" between the perch and ball joint.

Reason I noticed your positioning of it was, my tabs weren't holding the springs in position. Last week I had to take my springs back out and bend the tabs and drive them up a little higher to hold the springs in place.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,407 Posts
Getting there.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The SPI is great. Full disclosure. A few spots screwed up. I don’t know what caused it. Everything was cleaned three times with WGR and I let it dry for one hour and dried it with air prior to spraying. One area has some fish eyes. One area looks like it almost melted off. I chalked it up to inexperience and ... race car. I called and talked to Rusty Gillis to ask how he got his engine compartments to have a higher sheen. He said lay it on wet. I guess I laid it on too wet. I don’t know. It’s not horrible and 95% looks good enough. It’s not a show car.
It's really annoying when that happens, and it usually happens if you get the gun too close at a particular spot. It gets too thick and it loses its ability to stay together and will separate and give you a bunch of little dimples in one area. It's NOT a contaminant issue. All you have to do is sand them out with 220 and hit that area again. That's really annoying if it's just a few areas and if you're like me, as long as they're not front and center I might just leave it.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I suspect you are 100% correct Lizer. I was standing in the engine bay while priming so I’m sure I got too close just trying not to touch what had already been primed. However, I did that too.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
hey, you could have drug your hose through the fresh clear coat you just sprayed on the quarter panel. That was fun.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Rained all morning, but it finally moved out at noon.
Got the Custom Coat bed liner sprayed in the tops of the fenders and the wheel wells.

Postman delivered the Mustang Steve Pedal Roller Conversion Kit. So I got that done as well.
Not my best welding, but it isn’t coming out.

No pics, but I also got the steering linkage and gearbox installed. Also got all the Del-A-Lum bushings installed in the leafs and the frame rails.

121 - 140 of 230 Posts