Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and happy new year.

I have a 65´ coupe with a 289 and a newer style C4 trans. I think the trans is a late 70s model.
When i got the car, the trans cooler lines has been changed to hoses. I would like to change them, but since i have the newer style C4, will 65´ cooler lines don't work? is my best best just to put on new hoses? any disadvantage to hoses other than durability?

/Oscar

·
Registered
481 Posts
I thought all the cooling line ports on the C4 are in the same spot. The only hose I would think about using would be braided S.S.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have a 66 with a C4 believed to be from an early 70's Maverick based on the aft case vent, input shaft, and yellow paint marker writing/identification from what someone wrote to identify the C4 (73 Maverick) in my 66 and just installed a new set of stainless steel lines and everything hooked up fine. The only issue I know would be the orientation of the brass fittings in the case, being the correct ones so that everythng will install correctly. I believe the aft fitting is 90 degrees and the forward fitting is just a straight in fitting. I recall in a older post on this subject, someone had the straight fitting on the aft port and could not get the line to install due to space between the transmission and transmission hump/floor of the car. Hopefully you have the correct fittings to start with (orientation) and it should be an easy R&R. Will take a few pics later today to show you the orientation if you plan to go back to hard lines. It was not to much of a pain to remove and install them.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
The standard metal lines from our well known good vendors would be fine for many years to come in your project. Also know, a close as the pre-bent lines are for a final fit, they'll still need a "little tweaking" at some points. SS lines are nice, but, are more expensive and are definitely tougher to make those final tweaks. Braided are "fancy and kool" and even more expensive, but, are more easy to final fit. Save the money for more important replacements.

Reactions: BW66

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! So i understand that proper metal lines instead of hoses would be the best solution.
Would you recommend that i just by some line for brakes etc and bend it myself? (what size and can i use cobber lines?). The trouble is that i am overseas, so shipping from the us is very expensive because of the awkward size that those prebend lines has.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,658 Posts
I wouldn't use copper. You can certainly use cheap steel lines though. If you have a tool to flare the ends and one to help make neat bends you can make a set as nice as the factory ones.
Best practice is to make solid lines all the way if you can, no rubber hose at all. But since you are connecting from the drivetrain that moves around and the radiator mounted to body which doesn't, you have to allow for that. The cheaters way is to use short sections of hose at one end. The factory way is to run the lines up the right side of the chassis and then make a sharp 90 degree turn to the left side and then smaller 90 degree turns into the radiator. If you leave the big 90 degree turn kind of unsupported then the engine motion tends to be spread over that bend and about a meter of lines. So it will outlast the car.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Helpful hint to gypsy's note, add a coupler in the middle of both runs to allow for easy unbolt disconnect in the event you need to remove the tranny.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just went through this with my 66 and you may want to consider using a nickel copper transmission line it's rated for brake lines so it's pretty strong stuff. It bends a little easier and it has a nice finish to it. 1000 miles and no leaks. I didn't use any rubber hosing but I did put a junction by the engine block for both lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts