Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any information the the ford test mule fastbacks that were built in 65 with the wankel rotary engine. According to the paperwork that i have located with the car it looks like the fastback was sent to the OSU engineering department and then was supposed to be destroyed however it survives. I have just come across this barn find wankel powered mustang. I Know that ford built these cars for testing and they were to light in the front end. Anyone have any pictures or test articles on them thanks.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
If you found one, then you should have pics to show *us*, right? :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
That would be an interesting find indeed. Before I grew up, I was big into the import scene, and I know first hand the power that a rotary engine can produce. However, I don't recall this being on the top 100 mustang list, so it can't be that desirable. :lol:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I googled it, only thing I found was this.
Link

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
At least one of them has been in magazines through the years. Didn't pay much attention to what was/is seen as an oddity (like the European resigned cars, the station wagons....) . Sorry didn't see any reason to keep pictures or the magazines. Maybe someone else did

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It was at the MCA show in Mustang Oklahoma show in either '94 or '97 -- just like 1497's picture from Texas show. I looked it over real well. It had a few extra engine gauges under the dash/radio area. So, it must be around somewhere ??

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
That car belonged to a man in the Oklahoma Mustang Club named Ray Harris. I think he has passed away now, so I'm not sure who the current owner is, but I have looked at this car on many occasions and it is the real deal that was converted to rotary power by a company called the Curtis Wright Corporation. Not sure how many were built, but it certainly is an oddity and an eye catcher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw the car at a car show in Mustang Oklahoma around the mid 90's. I may have pictures of it somewhere. It was a Ford conversion or Ford factory authorized conversion. It was pretty interesting when I saw it. Truly a rare car.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I was just trying to remember what I was doing in January of 2008...I think I had just started a new job and was pretty excited about it. Which I guess is why I forgot all about this thread.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
4,263 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Goes to show that the search feature works....

I had never heard of this so this was a good read and new to me.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
So who was Curtis Wright or is the sign misspelled and it was actually Curtiss-Wright who originally built airplanes and aircraft engines?

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
I'm glad this topic came up. Some local guy just put a Mazda RX-7 engine in his 65/66. He didn't even put a 13B turbo engine in it, just a 12A N/A engine. He also wants an air bag suspension and a bunch of other dumb crap. I told him there are better handling suspensions and he said, "it's not about handling." OK. Whatever.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just realized that the original thread is a VERY old one...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts