Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '65 Fastback and get excessive outside weather up through the window on the inside of the car. It's an issue in Texas as lots of heat can come up via the gap between the window felt and glass itself. The window felts are in nice shape. I do have quit a bit of slack in the window guide as the rear of the windows can move back-n-forth quite a bit. Is this the source of my issue? Can I purchase new track material or just have to buy a new window guide?

Had a thought of putting foam insulation take on the window bottom so when the window is rolled up, the foam would hit the underside of the door top/window felt so seal the gap. Anyone tried this?

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
The heat will make that peel and stick stuff come off.
Replace your weather strip with new stuff made by Daniel Carpeneter or Steele Rubber Products Corp, possibly Re-Pops for new window guides to bolt onto the rear of the vent window frames, and adjust your windows for the new seals. You'll thank yourself later during your quiet, climate-controlled ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone came up with something off another car that'd work/mimic a lip seal for these classics? Figure there has to be something out there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unfortunately the window felts on these cars are only designed to keep the glass from rattling and rubbing the door. They don't have a lip seal to keep water out of the door and stop air movement.
That is a good point that these window felts will not keep the water out. So the water trickles down the bottom of the door where there are a couple of exit holes at the bottom of the doors. I just replaced the felts this weekend on both doors and I still have the interior side panels removed. I think I will insure lower interior of each door is inspected and sprayed down with a rustoleum spray.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a '65 Fastback and get excessive outside weather up through the window on the inside of the car. It's an issue in Texas as lots of heat can come up via the gap between the window felt and glass itself. The window felts are in nice shape. I do have quit a bit of slack in the window guide as the rear of the windows can move back-n-forth quite a bit. Is this the source of my issue? Can I purchase new track material or just have to buy a new window guide?

Had a thought of putting foam insulation take on the window bottom so when the window is rolled up, the foam would hit the underside of the door top/window felt so seal the gap. Anyone tried this?
My Phoenix AZ heat can be handled with my A/C unit and significantly overcome the small air leaks from the door seams. But I do understand if you don't have A/C on your Mustang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts