Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently acquired my father 1965 coupe, it had a 6 cylinder which was swapped out at some point with 302.
My issue is I am unable to ID this engine (he was not sure but thought he remembered it being a late 70's 302). I am just started to learn but dont know much. It seems I would need to remove parts to find the numbers. Any help with approx age range or help locating the numbers would be appreciated.
Aside from wanting to know what I have in the car, I have a slow coolant leak (puddles on top of waterpump) and want to replace (at some point) the water pump gaskets, still need to look into this more but if still reading and know basics please let me know). I am able to find a kit on cj for the 302.
I also want to replace the radiator hoses when i do the waterpump gaskets but having difficulty finding correct hoses (on cj the set says for 289 only). Not sure which hoses I need or if the 289 hoses will work - any input?
Pretty sure this car is running pure antifreeze - is this ok?
Here are some pics, working on cleaning her up (anyone ever degrease there engine?).

Thanks for any/all help on my post or anything else you see.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
A 289/302 Windsor block is the same. I would replace the WP and thermostate housing. Summit racing is your fiend here. Buy the hoses for your year car. May as well pull the radiator and clean it out as well. That engine looks like it needs some basic maintenance. May as well jump in and do it right the first time. If its been sitting, Im guessing the heater core is gone as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
stock lower may not work - stock that year was pass side - his later motor is drivers side - i just did this and should remember what i bought.....iirc a 70s mustang cut down....ill look for my napa recipt - cj pony may list one as a 5.0 conversion.....'65 upper should be fine though - +1 on that leak coming from the thermostat housing - tricky to replace that gasket without letting the thermastat slip down.....as another member alluded, the chrome ones are notorious for leaking

·
Registered
841 Posts
In 70, the bottom hose changed from passenger side to driver. If you get a set of 70 302 hoses, they should work. I did this conversion not long ago and bought them from Virginia Classic Mustangs and am happy with the results.

70 302,B302,351W RADIATOR HOSE SET WITH CLAMPS

To figure out exactly what the block is, you need to take the starter off to look at the casting numbers. That should tell you when it was built and give you some idea what range of cars it might have been in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, this is so helpful. I am going to try to order and will let you know of any issues.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
941 Posts
Definitely looks like thermostat cover or the hoses around there are leaking, not the water pump. You can rent a coolant pressure tester from Autozone, pump it up to about 13-14lbs and look for the leak, should be able to pinpoint if you just need to tighten some hoses or replace the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If you are changing the hoses and thermostat, its another $40 to change the WP. Why not?

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
The hose clamp on the thermostat bypass hose (the hose with the 90* bend below the upper radiator hose) is way too big. The band is too wide and the worm screw housing is too big. An oversize hose clamp will not seal all the way around on a small hose. It will leak underneath the worm screw housing. That looks like a 1/2" or 9/16" wide band and you need a clamp with a 5/16" wide band.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I will take care of that too - do you mean the gasket or rebuild the pump?.
Pump looks fine to me,but it may be the intake leaking as it looks like dampness from there down to the timing cover.As well as valve cover leaks. +1 on the bypass hose clamp.
EDIT--- Actually every clamp I can see has the wrong diameter,they are all at least one size to big.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have the correct clamp kit for all hoses so as I swap out will replace them all with the correct ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That timing cover gasket does not look to good to me either..
Thanks cc, I have the gaskets for those already (one day gonna tear this think down, new gaskets, clean up and paint the parts). When the times comes anything specific to look out for? Will be using a manual by then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts