Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello and welcome to my build thread. I am super excited to introduce my 1965 Mustang Fastback named the “Beast”. It was born as a 5R09A car, built in San Jose, A code 4 barrel V8, dark blue exterior paint, standard black interior, with a 2.80 open-end gearing. The door tag is missing, but it came with reverse lights and bumper guards as factory options. From what I can tell, it has always been a clutch car. So it isn’t anything particularly special or unique. The body is solid having some bodywork, but this car fell into my lap as a partial build along with a pile of boxes.

The Fastback does look like it has had a rough history. The RH quarter has been replaced and there is evidence of an accident within the rear wheel well. It looks like the RH front frame rail has some work done to it. The front LH apron looks to be an aftermarket stamping and the radiator support has been spliced in the middle. Both pieces are stich welded, so obviously they are not original. The floors have been replaced and are without seat risers. There are crunch marks near the back of the tunnel most likely from a broken driveshaft incident. Both doors have been distastefully cut for speakers and the dash has been chopped to accept a single DIN stereo. My Father and I have been restoring my Mother’s Fastback for about a year and we pulled the drivetrain to use in her car since I have other plans. I have slowly been gearing up to jump on this car organizing and purchasing missing parts.

The plan is to build a restomod, installing a Coyote 5.0, Tremec T56 transmission, Heidts Pro G front suspension, 13” Wilwood discs, splined sway bar, Heidts independent rear suspension, 3.89 True-Track, mini tubs, roll bar, air conditioning, power windows, LED lighting, amongst some other custom touches. A supercharger may be in the works, but that may be a bit too ambitious. I’d like to integrate some form of ODBII monitoring software, GPS, and bluetooth functionality for a tire pressure monitoring system. I’m sure the blueprint will change, but this is the starting point for my hobby build. Fortunately I have access to my Father’s tools and expertise. I work as a Cinematographer filming commercials, music videos, and features. I will take my time learning as I go and apply what I have learned in my other builds. Hopefully I can share some valuable knowledge or maybe you can learn from my mistakes. Either way, for me, it is all about having fun, sharing, and learning the craft. This build can also be followed on Instagram #1965mustangbeast. Thanks for following.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2015-17 Mustang GT Leather Recaro Front Seats

I purchased a pair of Recaros that were taken from a 2017 Mustang GT. It is my understanding that these seats are a factory option included with a performance package. I guess the owner didn’t like them and so I snatched them on Craigslist.

I plan to reinforce the floor with convertible reinforcement pans or by using a modified x brace. The seats have some aggressive side bolstering and are too wide to fit in convertibles because of their inner rocker panels. I probably will need to go with an aftermarket snug fit type headliner and tilt column. Only standard low profile door panels will fit. The seats are a tight fit and I realize they are not for everyone, but I think they will be perfect for this build.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Very interesting, I bought a 2017 GT at auction in Sept. 2017 which had been in a front end accident and had its interior removed. The car had come from SoCal as it was owned by Hertz rental in El Segundo. After buying the donor for my 1970 Mach 1 restomod, I was astounded by how much the interior parts were going for on Ebay. It was easy to understand why the car had been totaled out by the insurance company. I love the seats, someday I can only hope I can find something similar. The car looks like a great start, enjoy the journey.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recaro Seats

Very interesting, I bought a 2017 GT at auction in Sept. 2017 which had been in a front end accident and had its interior removed. The car had come from SoCal as it was owned by Hertz rental in El Segundo. After buying the donor for my 1970 Mach 1 restomod, I was astounded by how much the interior parts were going for on Ebay. It was easy to understand why the car had been totaled out by the insurance company. I love the seats, someday I can only hope I can find something similar. The car looks like a great start, enjoy the journey.
Thanks. A friend with a 2017 GT350 had a pair of Recaros, but they were cloth. So when I saw this mint leather set, I knew I had to move quick. Ford Performance Parts does sell an aftermarket version, although for a premium. They are leather and I'm told that the only difference is the logo and stitching. Thanks

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m63660005me

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Mustangs to fear offers a one piece headliner that gives a couple extra inches of head room. Those seats are awesome, I sat in a gt350 with those seats this past week as I waited for my car to get done with a recall.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mustangs To Fear

Mustangs to fear offers a one piece headliner that gives a couple extra inches of head room. Those seats are awesome, I sat in a gt350 with those seats this past week as I waited for my car to get done with a recall.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Thanks. Yes, I have a number of their products planned for this build. As you mentioned, I plan on installing their single piece headliner, roll bar, PCM box, mini tubs, front frame rail stiffeners, and Coyote pedal mounting plate. Their products are generally very good and are designed by someone who actually builds cars. I have a number of their products in my 66 convertible build and was pleased with everything.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
So following this as your build plan is close to what i have in mind! What part of California are you in ?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You have got a pretty decent car to start with from the looks of it. For a restomod I think those seats are going to look great. I’m just trying to get back into my projects as life has got in my way for the past few years. It’s good to be back on vmf for some much needed ideas and motivation with like minded individuals 😎. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bare Shell and Body Wheel Set

Drivetrain and Suspension pulled. Organizing and making a running list of missing parts.

I purchased a Mustang body wheel set from USCT Motorsports.

1965-1971 Mustang Car Moving Body Wheel Set

Found two good luck pennies within the LH A pillar. I was hoping for 65 or a quarter, but 60 and 63 qualify in my book.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Torque Boxes, Aprons, and Radiator Support

I purchased a pair of torque boxes from CJ Pony Parts to strengthen the chassis. These are the two-piece style made for 1967-68 Mustangs. 65-66 Convertible torque boxes are notched and have cutouts for the inner rockers, which coupes and fastback obviously do not have from the factory. The units that I ordered also include gussets.

LH Dynacorn torque box

RH Dynacorn torque box

I was able to test fit the RH upper torque box plate with very minimal trimming. The top plate has a lip that is designed to extend up through the floor. After some web research, I saw that some people were cutting the lip off completely or inverting downward. I chose to invert the lip for added strength, as I didn’t want to slot or cut my floor. Not the easiest thing to do when I don’t have the proper machinery, but hey anything is nearly possible with a little heat, hammer, and bench vise.

Test fitting the RH lower torque box piece. Repeated on the LH side. Painted with Eastwood weld through primer. Mustangs To Fear Mini Tubs pictured.

http://shop.mustangstofear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_58_385&products_id=425]1965-1966 Mini Tub [Mini-Tub-65-68] - $295.00 : Mustangs to Fear, Classic Mustang Restoration and Manufactured Parts and Eleanor Body Kits

Dynacorn single piece aprons.

Dynacorn radiator support with crossmember

I guess this company makes the majority of the reproduction parts in Taiwan. Dynacorn is one of their distributors in the USA. Check them out.

http://musclecargt.com

PDF Product Catalog

Mustang Shell assembly video link

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I’m digging those mustang body wheels....little pricey for what they are but I may pick those up myself. Thanks for the link. Everything is looking good you’re making good progress looking forward to seeing your build come to life. I like that you found a couple of “lucky pennies” that’s 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Front Clip Measurements

Since my Fastback has had a number of repairs made to it, I took measurements from three other 65-66 cars for reference. I used a tape measure but also used a Hilti laser range meter with accuracy of 1/64 to 1/32 of an inch.

I used a 65 Dearborn convertible as my primary reference vehicle.

42 7/8” is my measured distance from the edge of the fender apron extension to the radiator support fender J clip. Distance between front frame rails is 27 5/8” with about 1/8” variance between vehicles.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RH Apron and Tower Removal

I began by removing the RH aprons and tower using a spot weld drill and air chisel. My experience doing metal work is very limited having only replaced the floor and seat risers in my Mom’s Fastback. This is the first time that I have removed towers and aprons, so I was a bit nervous.

I’m committed now!

I test fit the RH single piece apron duplicating my laser measurements. My RH apron requires some minor cutting to lay flush against the stock radiator support. I will cut once the replacement Dynacorn radiator support is in place.

I cleaned the firewall with a 3M Scotch-Brite cleaning disc. You can see the previous repair work that was made to the outside of the RH frame rail and lower firewall. Painted with Eastwood weld through etching primer.

Prepped the RH single piece apron and made another test fit prior to welding in place. I cleaned up my welds with a flat flap disc.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Single Piece Aprons

You may have mentioned it but why didn't you just remove the shock tower?
Great question. I went with single piece aprons for a number of reasons. The LH front apron was replaced with an aftermarket panel sometime in the pastry a previous owner and was improperly stitch welded into place. It was also improperly overlapping the rear apron above the shock tower when it should have been sandwiched under the rear apron. You might be able to see in some of the photographs, but the radiator support was spliced down the middle and LH half of it was replaced. The top hinge threads on both the RH and LH rear aprons had been cut out. The RH rear apron also had some significant dents. So there were a few things that I felt needed to be addressed if the existing aprons were to be used. I did not have access to a plasma cutter, so I felt removing the apron along-with the towers was probably the easiest way to go Also, I really like the clean aesthetic of these single piece aprons and they provide a seamless surface for the shock tower delete panels.

·
Registered
658 Posts
1 - 20 of 116 Posts