Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, need some advice. I know on that super detailed 4R70W thread, he gives a lot of information and went with Shorty headers, but I was wondering if anyone had success out of a set of long tubes? As far as I can tell, the only place it will need any adjustment is where the shift linkage attaches to the NSS, but it appears to be close enough that I can do some modification with a decent hammer and straighten that out. Any reason you wouldn't run long tubes? I already put a whole new exhaust set up on the car about two years ago and really don't want to have to redo the whole system again. :shrug:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,301 Posts
As long as they clear in the car there is no reason to not run LT. And if you've watched the engine masters video you can bash the headers a LOT and not lose power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as they clear in the car there is no reason to not run LT. And if you've watched the engine masters video you can bash the headers a LOT and not lose power.
I have seen that episode, that's why I thought of it instead of just immediately swapping them for ST. Thanks, I just wanted someone to tell me that I wasn't stupid for considering it. (I'm also super impatient and want my car to run again, so I don't want to wait on new parts.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,301 Posts
What controller are you using for that trans?

Reactions: ttindall208

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
A side note on the 4R70W: Be sure and change the fluid about one a year, (depending on how much you drive it) Otherwise it will develop a shudder going into high gear. I also had to use Redline ATF, but I'm sure another premium ATF would work.

Reactions: ttindall208

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A side note on the 4R70W: Be sure and change the fluid about one a year, (depending on how much you drive it) Otherwise it will develop a shudder going into high gear. I also had to use Redline ATF, but I'm sure another premium ATF would work.
Thanks for the info :thumbsup: I plan on putting some Lucas/Lubegard in it from the get-go since it's a junkyard tranny.

·
Registered
801 Posts
While wrapping your headers does reduce underhood temps, it raises the temps for the headers themselves, and does a lot of damage to them over time. Even stainless steel headers can just corrode away inside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While wrapping your headers does reduce underhood temps, it raises the temps for the headers themselves, and does a lot of damage to them over time. Even stainless steel headers can just corrode away inside.
I had read that somewhere before, but I'm really trying to cut down on the heat in the bay. I also didn't really want chrome headers, so it was an appearance aspect as well. Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Coatings, inside and out, are probably the best way to reduce header temps. Superior to wraps in pretty much every way except cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts