Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 convertible has been sitting for about 2 months. Typically it’s pretty cold blooded (electric choke) so I pulled the air cleaner to see if perhaps the carb bowl or power valve is leaking down after sitting. Well today I looked down the throat while pumping and no fuel is spraying into the venturi. (I have the stock autolite carb and stock distributor.) it always fires up today I had to crank for probably 20-30 seconds or so.

my assumption is that something is bleeding down while it sits. ( I don’t see any bowl leaks on the outside). The carb is a remanufactured unit from about 5 years ago. Could the accelerator pump be bad? Fuel pump bad?

thoughts?

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
After two months, the gas can evaporate out of the bowl enough to effect starting.

I would be shocked to start a carb'd car that sat for 2 months that didn't take 20-30 seconds to start. I've never owned one that would anyway.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,354 Posts
I have both an I6 200 in my wife's 65 Vert and a 289 in my 64.5 coupe. Both behave like that if the car sits for any long length of time. The fuel evaporates from the bowls and it takes a bit for the pump to refill the bowls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts