Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1966 Mustang with Aqua Interior, Tahoe Turquoise Exterior.
The seats are in perfect condition, I think they may have been redone sometime in the 1970's/1980's when the car was repainted.
I need Door panels, arm rests, Carpet, headliner and dash pad.
Ideally I would prefer to purchase all interior parts from one supplier/manufacturer so the color matches.
I cannot seem to find 1 place that carries all these parts in aqua.
Though all my searches I cannot find an Aqua color Dash Pad.
The original dash pad is all cracked up to the point I can break off pieces of vinyl. I can take broken pieces of the dash pad and the color matches to the door panel arm rests color.
So I know Ford manufactured to Dash pad in Aqua.

Does anybody have any idea where to purchase Aqua color interior parts?
Does anybody have any idea where to purchase Aqua color dash pad?
What mustang interior manufacturer has the best quality/color parts?

Thank You for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Welcome !!!
20190523_124212.jpg
For the soft interior parts, basically your two choices are Distinctive Industries and TMI. You can get those items from National Parts Depot, Virginia Classic Mustang, Summit Racing or another of your favorite Mustang parts vendors but they are certainly the most stable and reliable. Make sure to get the best quality kick panels that are a little thicker and have a sort of a notch at the top where it meets the dash because 1/2 inch or so of so of your pinch-on windlace is supposed to tuck in behind it. The cheaper kick panels are bad about splitting. For a dash, I would get an Original Tooling blue one and use the darker aqua vinyl dye to match what's on the seat inserts. I got mine probably 20 years ago and it has held up great. ACC or Auto Custom Carpets makes pretty much all the original type carpet now, available in 80/20 nylon/rayon blend like original or 100% nylon, and now with the mass-backed version that is a little harder to trim but reportedly fits great and is a little better for sound deadening. No one had matched the steering wheel color correctly yet, so I'm thinking of painting and clear-coating mine. Let me know if you have any questions!!
IMG_20170517_214238.jpg

·
Vendor
3,873 Posts
You have to keep in mind that no "single manufacturer" reproduces door panels, arm rests, carpets, headliners or dash pads.. So the hope of getting everything from a singular manufacturer is impossible.

Furthermore, don't be too obsessed on every component matching "exactly".. It wasn't really that way originally. Molded arm rest pads would be a touch lighter or darker than the vinyl door panels and upholstery. Carpet would typically be a "darker but complimentary" shade. Dash pads were likewise typically darker-but-complimentary in order to keep glare to a minimum. So your interior won't be monotone, and items that are manufactured using different disciplines (upholstery, pads, kick panels, carpets, steering wheels) will never match each other exactly.

Carpet - That will be made by Auto Custom Carpets. Be sure to get "Raylon", and the #259 Aqua. It's as close as you can get. We (NPD) keep it in-stock.

Arm rest pads - Universal Urethane (which is also known as Dashes Direct) has the best pads, and we carry them.

Door panels - If your upholstery is original, or was replaced back in the 80's (which would likely be now-defunct Colamco brand), the likelihood of you getting door panels that match your seats perfectly (which they should, since the same vinyl would have been used) is slim-to-none. You will likely have to re-upholstery to get a perfect match. This is why it's difficult to restore an interior piecemeal, because you almost always wind up with the old components sticking out like a sore thumb. Or.. who knows, you might get lucky!! In any case, we carry TMI door panels, and I consider them the best available.

Headliners - Plenty to choose from (Drake, TMI, Acme). We sell TMI so that it matches our visors. I think they all get their moonskin from the same supplier, and sew it up. The aqua headliner is a bit of an odd duck, lighter in shade than the rest of the interior. I do not think that moonskin is available in the "exact original" color, it's just "close". It's all there is.

Dash pad... No one makes an aqua dash pad. So you'll have to dye it. Ford Original Tooling from Dashes Direct is the best quality. We have all of the SEM soaps, preps, "sand free" and paint to do the dye job nice.

Sorry if this seems self-promotional, it would be tough to tell you what all the best stuff is, and then not tell you where you could find it.. I think your biggest roll-of-dice is going to be door panels that match your seats perfectly, given the decades in-between them.

Rick
NPD

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
^^^ what he said !! I'm currently using TMI stuff and the top quality kick panels from NPD for my son's car (holy cow at all the possible shades of parchment/tan) and couldn't be happier with the match.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I got all my interior parts from CJP. My interior is set up to go with my Tahoe Turquoise exterior (coming in the spring). You can see how mine came together in the "Build" forum on this site under "66 bucket coupe".

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
I'm just apprehensive to order anything where colors matter from CJ Pony parts because of their in inconsistency and questionable reliability when it comes to getting parts from different sources, and being able to replicate that color if something needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got all my interior parts from CJP. My interior is set up to go with my Tahoe Turquoise exterior (coming in the spring). You can see how mine came together in the "Build" forum on this site under "66 bucket coupe".
To: Travis98146
Is your dash pad the "FORD Tooling" product Blue?
OR
The no brand name after market?

Did you have it dyed?
Or
Is that the Blue it came with?

Thank You

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o: @Travis98146
Is your dash pad the "FORD Tooling" product Blue?
OR
The no brand name after market?

Did you have it dyed?
Or
Is that the Blue it came with?

Thank You

·
Registered
954 Posts
Actually, I found my dash cover on Ebay. I had already gotten the seat upholstery that had the dark blue center panels. I couldn't find a turquoise pad anywhere and when the dark blue one came up I jumped on it. And since it's already installed, I won't be able to get any manufacturing numbers from it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome !!! View attachment 739398 For the soft interior parts, basically your two choices are Distinctive Industries and TMI. You can get those items from National Parts Depot, Virginia Classic Mustang, Summit Racing or another of your favorite Mustang parts vendors but they are certainly the most stable and reliable. Make sure to get the best quality kick panels that are a little thicker and have a sort of a notch at the top where it meets the dash because 1/2 inch or so of so of your pinch-on windlace is supposed to tuck in behind it. The cheaper kick panels are bad about splitting. For a dash, I would get an Original Tooling blue one and use the darker aqua vinyl dye to match what's on the seat inserts. I got mine probably 20 years ago and it has held up great. ACC or Auto Custom Carpets makes pretty much all the original type carpet now, available in 80/20 nylon/rayon blend like original or 100% nylon, and now with the mass-backed version that is a little harder to trim but reportedly fits great and is a little better for sound deadening. No one had matched the steering wheel color correctly yet, so I'm thinking of painting and clear-coating mine. Let me know if you have any questions!! View attachment 739399
What Size wheels & tires do you have on the car pictured above?
Thank You

·
Registered
563 Posts
I always thought TMI and Distinctive were the only choices for upholstery, but I recently found out about SMS auto fabrics. They will provide you with free samples of all their materials and can even send a complete interior sample kit with carpet, headliner, vinyl, etc. Nice to check it against what you have. I don't know that they don't source certain components from other manufacturers, but I know that they can and do custom make seat covers and door panels in either OEM or custom styles. Check out their website and gallery. I found out about them when looking for some seat covers for my '65 Galaxie.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
...I recently found out about SMS auto fabrics...
I really like some of their retro fabric and got a free sample from them to consider covering a rear package tray with fabric that looks very close to the original Masonite pattern with hidden holes for rear speakers. Look stock and still rock...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts