Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got minimal response from this post last time, but i know there is someone out there who knows the answer. Bought replacement cooling lines for the C4 on a 66 289. the longer line does not match the original. it is missing a small 90 degree bend on the tranny side. i know for a fact that the original one is indeed the original one to the car. anyone else run into this? what is the fix. is there some sort of aftermarket adapter that i need. there must be a reason. help.

jim

·
Registered
884 Posts
I ran new lines (from scratch) on mine last summer. If you are only missing one particular bend and the length is correct then you can either rent or buy a "line bender". Give it a small bend and your done.

Greg.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
This is a dumb question, but I have to ask ... are you sure you don't have the line flipped backwards? There's no way to hook up the tranny side without a 90 deg. bend.

The replacement lines I bought a couple years ago where dead on duplicates of the originals. Note: you need an adapter on both ends of both lines.

If in fact the line is missing the one bend, you can either put a 90 deg. elbow on the tranny (available from Home Depot) or bend your line yourself, although great care must be taken in a 90 deg. bend not to kink the line. I'd be inclined to go with the elbow, as this will probably give you more clearance, anyway, between the tranny and uni-body of the car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just ran new lines on my 65 with a 289. there was a brass fitting in the forward hole on the tranny. This takes place of the 90 your talking about. seamed all original to me

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fully agree with orbit398. Mine had a 90 deg. brass elbow at the same spot. This was an untouched original car. Best regards John

·
Registered
522 Posts
As I remember on my 66 C4 there was a 90 degree fitting on the front line, and a flat, or 180 degree, fitting on the back line. You should be able to pick up those fittings at a parts store.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts