Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Mustang owner. When the car arrived from Florida, it was missing the butterfly in the carb. Apparently this isn't a big deal in their warm weather, but here in Michigan I'd sooner not have to choke it with my hand each time.
THe first question I have is, are there kits available to rebuild the carb (6 cyl, Auto) or can someone suggest a source for a good carburetor.
I'm not sure if it's 170 or 200ci, and don't know how to determine that either.

Lastly, is there somewhere else I should be tuned in to to ask these kinds of questions?

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
you are at the right place for the questions!
That car likely has the 200, but regardless, you can get a used carb cheap from a junkyard, OR a new-rebuilt from someplace like CJPony mustang parts in Penn.
Good luck, and I'd recommend getting a junkyard carb and rebuilding yours. They're a cinch!

1966 C-Code Convertible, 59 Edsel Villager
Charlotte, NC
New Cars Have No Soul.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Try your local Autozone. When I had the 200 in my 66 I was suprised when I asked if they had a carb for it. They had a new (not rebuilt) one for $70.00

66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The other posts were right about you haveing a 200 if the engine is original to your 66.

If your choke butterfly is missing you need to get a junk carb for parts or buy a new one since the butterfly doesn't come with the rebuild kit.

As far as where to ask the questions, You have found it...The VMF is the Abslout Best forum on the net for Vintage Ponys!!!

[color:green]Adam</font color=green>

Click Here to see my Website
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=43855504.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you go the junkyard route and don't find any you could try EBAY. They usually have a few there for about 10-20 dollars. Figure $20 for a rebuild kit and $15 for parts cleaner, etc and it's bumping up against that $70 figure someone gave you for a new one.

Rebuilding it yourself does give you an education and it's a good way to get your feet wet with this stuff. There are plenty of people here who've done this already. You've come to the right place to ask questions

http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/sig.gif
Please contribute to my Reproduction Parts Rating Site

·
Registered
529 Posts
Where in MI are you? I noticed your bio says you're in lower Michigan but you go by Yooper (nickname for someone from the UP - Upper Michigan). I was born, raised, and college-degreed in the UP.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, to each of you responding THANKS for the tips. My experience so far has been that Mustang owners are absolutely great at helping one another and offering suggestions.

To Smokin Joe, I'm currently living/working in the Lansing area, but you are correct, I was born and bred in Marquette, and hope to return there after retirement. I attended NMU, U2?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nope. Went to MTU (I was a toot!).

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

1 - 9 of 9 Posts