Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1966 289 2V, C4 automatic Convertible, Power top with console

The car had been stored with a cover on it, in a barn with a wood floor for the past 33 years.
The car was running and driving when parked in 1988 and did not see the light of day again until September 2021.

It has rust in the usual areas and will need complete restoration.

The engine was NOT stuck. I installed new points, condenser, cap & rotor, spark plugs and wires and fed her some fresh fuel from a bottle and I ran it only long enough for the exhaust manifolds to become hot. While I did hear it run, one should assume the engine and transmission will also require full restoration.

The brakes work well enough to load and unload the car during transport.

Headlights work, wipers work. I have not tested the power top.

I believe at one time mice got into the cowl. However, there are no mice living in it now.

I bought the car for one of my family members. Unfortunately, their situation has changed and are no longer able to take on the restoration.

The price is $2900 firm, sold as-is, where-is. Vehicle is sold with bill-of-sale only.

Car is located aprox 45 minutes West of LaCrosse, WI, just off of Interstate 90.

If you have serious interest, PM me with your phone number and I will call you. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,467 Posts
PM Sent

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Wow , $2900.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been overwhelmed with the amount of interest in the car. Thanks to all the folks I spoke with... I sincerely enjoyed the conversations.

Last weekend, multiple forum members stated they were going to move forward with payment. However, I have not received payment or received any communication from these people in the past 24 hours.

Therefore, the convertible remains available; contact me if you have serious interest. Thank you.

I have decided to list the car for sale locally as well.

I am not very knowledgeable with convertibles. Through conversations with potential buyers, I have learned the following which I wish to share:
(1) The driver's side door opens and shuts "OK" for a 50+ year old car with original hinges. The passenger side door shuts hard and rubs at the quarter panel. I am told this likely means floors, convertible brace, frame rails and/or other steel requires replacement. I stated this in the original ad, yet wish to reiterate.
(2) The fender VIN stamp matches the warranty registration tag on the driver's side door. It is a C-code 289 V8 car.
(3) As far as I can tell, the car is complete. There may be a few pieces you find missing, but it appears to be 98% complete
(4) There is rust at the bottom of the fenders and doors.
(5) The car was under-coated at some point in it's life, prior to sitting in a barn for 33 years. This makes it very difficult to assess the frame rails and underside. There are holes in the convertible brace where they attach to the inner rockers. I've seen much worse, yet the buyer should expect a requirement to replace panels
(6) The car is sold with a bill-of-sale only. IF I ever receive a replacement registration, I will happily mail it to the buyer. I cannot promise anything, hence bill of sale only.

Thanks again folks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts