Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a restored 66 convert 6 cyl 3 spd on floor and was thinking about doing a coyote engine swap. I was wondering if anyone has done this project and what it takes to do so. Any ideas on cost and parts needed to complete.

·
Premium Member
13,378 Posts
It has been done numerous times. It requires complete removal of the shock towers and installation of a new subframe. Look at the Mustangs To Fear website for one example of a Coyote subframe.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Are you on facebook? two groups I suggest you join "coyote swapped classic mustangs" & "Aje colt 65 classic fords" both have a ton of info on coyote swaps.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I am stuffing a Coyote into my 70 Mach 1, not a 66 but should give you an idea of what you are getting yourself into. I am using the front clip and suspension from Total Control Products, another option to MTF, Heidts, Detroit Speed and others.

Unless you have a large budget, don't go down this road. I used a low mileage donor for my engine and transmission and I am approaching $40K in part plus the car. Don't get me wrong, the Coyote is a great engine, just difficult to fit into a vintage Mustang. I have found that many parts are unique and expensive, that pushes the cost up quickly. I am sure there are ways to get it done less expensively, but that would take some research. When I started, I chose a few vendors and created a spread sheet for cost comparison. At the time TCP appeared competitive, now there are options that are cheaper. However, the components, like Wilwood brakes, Strange 3rd member, etc. are known quality pieces, so I have found that quality costs.

The link to my build thread is in my signature line.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I have a restored 66 convert 6 cyl 3 spd on floor and was thinking about doing a coyote engine swap. I was wondering if anyone has done this project and what it takes to do so. Any ideas on cost and parts needed to complete.
If you have to ask this question then you don't know what you are getting into.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
"If you have to ask this question then you don't know what you are getting into. "

So True.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have two ongoing Coyote builds linked into my signature. Lots of informative builds in the "build thread" on this forum. I would definitely recommend assembling a budget and do lots of research prior to making your first purchase and first weld. A Coyote build is a lot of work, but I completely understand why it's done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts