Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
'66 Convertible Project
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1966 Mustang has build tag: 76B R 66 31A 74 6, it will need: paint, chrome, an interior, a roof, an antenna and I am not sure what else to restore it. I have not seen it, other than the photos. I sent a restoration guy, who will do the work, to look at it and he said there was virtually no rust. The story is that it was a Seattle car and stored in a barn for almost 50 years. I am not sure what to believe. The previous owner rebuilt the engine, replaced the cam shaft, rebuilt the transmission, added front disc brakes with power assist, power steering, a radiator, a fuel tank, new tires, new carpet and dual exhaust through the valance.
Does someone repair steering wheels, it seems like they are all missing a piece near 9 o'clock.
I would like to add fog lights, a console, a passenger mirror, led lights, wheels and a new stereo with speakers plus the restoration part.
The interior is a all black pony interior.
What color should the painted dashboard be?
What color should the painted console be?
What color should the painted Rally Pack be?
Is the hub cap 14"?
I think I saw a post that mentioned the A pillars, metal part of the dash, the steering column, the metal door interior, and interior quarter panels were originally semi-gloss black, is that correct? Would there have be any green paint on the interior of my car originally?
Thanks for looking at my post.
John
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle
Car Vehicle Steering wheel Motor vehicle Steering part
Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel
Musical instrument accessory Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Vehicle door
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,218 Posts
Trim 66 is the black deluxe interior. The answer to all your questions regarding interior color is that yes, everything should be black. No green. The original paint is lacquer. Based on the pictures your interior looks like its in pretty nice shape minus the drivers seat.

Yes, hub caps are 14 inch.

·
Registered
'66 Convertible Project
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 1966 Mustang has build tag: 76B R 66 31A 74 6, it will need: paint, chrome, an interior, a roof, an antenna and I am not sure what else to restore it. I have not seen it, other than the photos. I sent a restoration guy, who will do the work, to look at it and he said there was virtually no rust. The story is that it was a Seattle car and stored in a barn for almost 50 years. I am not sure what to believe. The previous owner rebuilt the engine, replaced the cam shaft, rebuilt the transmission, added front disc brakes with power assist, power steering, a radiator, a fuel tank, new tires, new carpet and dual exhaust through the valance.
Does someone repair steering wheels, it seems like they are all missing a piece near 9 o'clock.
I would like to add fog lights, a console, a passenger mirror, led lights, wheels and a new stereo with speakers plus the restoration part.
The interior is a all black pony interior.
What color should the painted dashboard be?
What color should the painted console be?
What color should the painted Rally Pack be?
Is the hub cap 14"?
I think I saw a post that mentioned the A pillars, metal part of the dash, the steering column, the metal door interior, and interior quarter panels were originally semi-gloss black, is that correct? Would there have be any green paint on the interior of my car originally?
Thanks for looking at my post.
John
View attachment 815136 View attachment 815137 View attachment 815138 View attachment 815139 View attachment 815140

·
Registered
'66 Convertible Project
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trim 66 is the black deluxe interior. The answer to all your questions regarding interior color is that yes, everything should be black. No green. The original paint is lacquer. Based on the pictures your interior looks like its in pretty nice shape minus the drivers seat.

Yes, hub caps are 14 inch.
The speedometer says 51k miles, it might be original, the trunk interior still has green paint
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper
Bumper Wood Hood Composite material Gas

·
Registered
1965 200 White: 1965 289 Black: 1966 289 Green
186 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 mustang convertible sprint 200, manual steering and brakes
369 Posts
That missing piece in the steering wheel is pretty common. The wheel is plastic molded over a steel frame. The plastic shrinks over time and steel doesn’t. The plastic will eventually crack due to the stresses from being stretched. There are various ways to fix it including kits (Eastwood ?) specifically intended for steering wheel repair. Or you can buy replacement wheels if it’s cracked to badly. There probably are people that would fix it for ya but nobody I know of.

·
Premium Member
1966 mustang convertible sprint 200, manual steering and brakes
369 Posts
Oh sorry, that might be a wooden wheel, I can’t tell from the pic. Wood shrinks too as it dries out but I can’t say I’ve ever seen a cracked one like that. Just plastic ones.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
John, Your interior looks fine. Just clean it up. Also you have courtesy lights on the door! Those are cool. I wish mine had them but I'm not about to cut up my door.........yet.

Also I like the green color, may want to consider leaving it that color.

·
Registered
'66 Convertible Project
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
John, Your interior looks fine. Just clean it up. Also you have courtesy lights on the door! Those are cool. I wish mine had them but I'm not about to cut up my door.........yet.

Also I like the green color, may want to consider leaving it that color.
The front seats are trashed, the rear seat is ok but old and stiff. I was going to have them all reupholstered. The dash pad is good, both door panels have the "pull" broken and need to be replaced. The carpet is new but dirty. I am not sure how the paint is on the dash or door interiors. I bought this car because it was a 76B with 66 interior and R exterior paint, I just wish it had a four speed trans!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts