Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car sits in the garage all the time so I will not use the top much. If the top does not see the elements how long with a plastic window last? If I go with a glass window is there anything I need to do different like a well liner?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
My plastic window is maybe 25 years old. Holding up fine. It's mostly garaged. I use McGuire's Plastic Cleaner and Scratch Remover. I don't think glass windows were an option in 66 but they can be installed. I'm thinking the well liner needs changing too. The hinge is a failure point though. Plastic windows can be changed out if necessary without much trouble if need be.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply. My biggest concern is how long the plastic lasts before it cracks. I know since it will not see the sun much, it should last a while

My plastic window is maybe 25 years old. Holding up fine. It's mostly garaged. I use McGuire's Plastic Cleaner and Scratch Remover. I don't think glass windows were an option in 66 but they can be installed. I'm thinking the well liner needs changing too. The hinge is a failure point though. Plastic windows can be changed out if necessary without much trouble if need be.

·
Premium Member
7,493 Posts
I had an Electron top installed in 2003. Here are pics of the rear window and the cleaner, I've been using. I too, considered the split glass for all of the reasons noted. My installer (upholstery shop) talked me out of it due to the weak area being the "hinge". He's repaired/replaced a number of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
I'll take the Plastic Window over the Folding Glass any day of the week.

With that being said, Ford should have taken their own lesson from their '65-'66 Mustang Rear Plastic "Curtains" as they called them.

The 2005 to 2014 Convertibles have Rear Glass in their Convertible tops. They are nothing but problems. The weight of the Rears Convertible glass itself makes them detach from the Convertible top and you cannot re-attach them. A Piss-Poor Design among other factory problems that these tops have such as stitching that just "Fails" once it gets wet also. Had they used a Plastic Curtain/Plastic Window which is light, It would have avoided all the Rear Glass issues. Just see YOUTUBE on S197 Convertible Rear Windows. The price to replace a S197 Convertible top??? $3000+!!!! If there is an offering for a Plastic Rear window, I'm going to take it. The Rear Glass is nothing but problems. In the '67-'70 "Folding Glass" The Silicone rubber piece in the middle always breaks/fails...causing replacement for the entire thing...

My '65 and '66 Convertible tops only cost $900-$1000 to replace completely installed... A way better designed Convertible top if you ask me.

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts