Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 66 coupe with no radio or speakers installed. I was thinking about getting a Custom Autosound USA-230 Radio since theyre pretty cheap. Im not worried about bluetooth since i already have a little Bluetooth adapter that plugs into my cigarette lighter which i use in my current car and it works fine. Im also thinking about installing kick panel speakers and the quarter trim panels that came with the car already had speaker cutouts from the previous owner, which means ill have to place speakers there too so there isnt two giant holes back there. now my question is, will the USA-230 Radio be able to handle the 2 kick panel speakers, the 2 quarter trim panel speakers, and the single dash speaker? or will i have to purchase something else? ive never put in speakers or a radio in a car so i dont know anything about this stuff. havent bought anything since i dont even know if itll all work together or not.

heres the stuff i plan on buying.

USA-230 Radio (not purchased yet)

2 Quarter trim panel speakers (not purchased yet)

Kick panel Speakers (also not purchased yet)

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will never buy a Custom Autsound unit. I have had two, and I threw both of them away.
Look here RetroSound modern radios for your classic car
ok, well lets say i take your advice and go with the 66 Ford Mustang Laguna Radio, will it be able to handle 5 speakers? or will i need something else like an amplifier.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
They have amplifiers available - it will probably need an amp if you use those speakers you mentioned. - I would call them and see what they recommend

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the USA-230 with kick panel speakers and 6x9s in the rear. Have for about a year now. Sounds good and not any problems.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the USA-230 with kick panel speakers and 6x9s in the rear. Have for about a year now. Sounds good and not any problems.

do you also have the dash mounted speaker? do you have an amplifier? or do they all just plug into the radio?

·
Registered
28 Posts
No dash mount. Just 6-1/2" in the kick panels and 6x9s in the package tray. No amp.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a convertible so there was a limitation as to speaker placement. I got a dual 4X10 speaker for the dash and two kick panel speakers with 6.5" pioneer speakers but I believe they were closer to 100W vs the ones you listed. Good sound, no issues after 4 years in car. Also have a subwoofer in the trunk for a thump. We used a JVC receiver with BT, but no amp. ( the convertible has the 8 track AM radio, so it came with speakers in the door. We left them in for use with the 8-Track AM radio) It would be probably cheaper to install the kick panel speakers vs redoing your door panels. We used Crutchfield for the components we needed, and CJ Pony Parts for the kick panel/speaker set (but again 4 years ago).

We are about to do the finish work on a 1965 coupe and will do the kick panels again as well as a pair of speakers in the rear tray. My son has gathered several components such as the receiver and the amp.

We typically leave the old radio in and have mounted the receiver in the glove box. We have not used any of the dash replacement radios to give you any advice or recommendations. But would be nice to not have to open the glove box, but did get a remote control fob for the convertible and it gets stored in the non-A/C console.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Thinking about just installing some Bluetooth speakers that become live with ignition power for my son to pair his phone etc when he gets in.
Mine has a Custom Autosound USA-66 AM/FM/Aux with a dual dash speaker and two 6x9s in the package tray. I don't even listen to it that much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ok, well lets say i take your advice and go with the 66 Ford Mustang Laguna Radio, will it be able to handle 5 speakers? or will i need something else like an amplifier.

The Retosound Sound Laguna Radio is capable of connecting to 4 speakers, 2 fronts and 2 rears. However the Laguna version does not come with pre-outs, meaning you cannot connect RCA's to an amp to add additional or amplify speakers.

I would recommend purchasing a model with a Motor 2/4 brain. These have RCA's for fronts, rear, and sub and the ability to add an amp for all 5 speakers you are looking to install.

·
Registered
35,842 Posts
I'd use the Laguna shown, and put a 4x10 dual voice coil in the front with the left channels, and a 6x9 dual voice coil in the rear with the right channels. Using a repro rear speaker grille, it would be very slick, and sound great.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have a Retrosound unit with a 4x10 dual coil dash speaker and two 6x9s in the rear. Pretty happy overall with the sound and setup overall and the Bluetooth works great.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just added a system to mine last year. Worked with a friend that was an installer at a stereo shop.. just wanted something I could BT my phone to with decent sound. All from Crutchfields.
88F2F759-6396-4D78-9E1D-012A852A6186.jpeg
BE8E124D-C3B0-4C5D-BEF9-21CAC1134E26.jpeg
BDCD8A33-D5A4-49FA-B0DD-3BBE99F9456A.jpeg
BB9B6F40-1015-4C4A-80D2-714710705CBF.jpeg

Might end up adding a subwoofer for a bit more bass, but I mostly listen to the exhaust..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ive got the Retrosound Laguna and it sure beat the hole in the dash that was before, but I'm pulling it out (barely used really) and doing a custom bluetooth amp system. So if anyone is looking for a barely used retrosound unit (I may even still have the original box) let me know.

I had it hooked up to two front kick panel speakers and a center speaker. Once I remove my rear seat delete kit I will be putting some 6x9's in the package tray.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I went simple. Didn't need the 250watt amp in the trunk anymore. A good dual-voice coil 4x10 in the dash, and an Out of Sight Audio bluetooth receiver/amp. Connects to my phone. The OoSA is in the center console, and the original radio is still there for looks. Plenty of sound for cruising the freeway at 70 with the windows open.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I put a Retrosound Model 2 in my 66 coupe 7 years ago. Very happy with it, and also very happy with the after sales service.

I put in 2 kickpanel speakers and a new dash speaker (stereo). Sounded OK, until I sound deadened the kickpanels. What a difference! After adding a powered subwoofer, I am very pleased with how it sounds.

I'll add that sound deadening is very important, to stop road noise, engine/exhaust noise, rattle and vibration noise from the car body, kick panels, car seats springs as well as tighten up the sound in the trunk if you put your sub there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put in 2 kickpanel speakers and a new dash speaker (stereo). Sounded OK, until I sound deadened the kickpanels. What a difference! After adding a powered subwoofer, I am very pleased with how it sounds.

I'll add that sound deadening is very important, to stop road noise, engine/exhaust noise, rattle and vibration noise from the car body, kick panels, car seats springs as well as tighten up the sound in the trunk if you put your sub there.

What did you use to sound deaden your kick panels?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Similar to what @DrHawkeye posted, I am going to run a 4x10 DVC in the front factory location and a 6x9 DVC in the rear package tray, powered by a Bluetooth amp. Factory AM radio in the stock location for looks. Clean, stealth, and plenty for what I need.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What did you use to sound deaden your kick panels?
First I used a butyl based deadener like dynamat. It changed the sound from a "DHUNNG" to a "DOOF" if you know what I mean.

Then I also filled in all the empty space with a foam style deadener so there is zero movement in that region. The kickpanels are held there only by the windlace and the door sill plate so this really made everything solid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts