Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Converting my 1966 coupe rear valance to the 1966 GT rear valance with back up lights and exhaust cut outs for the exhaust tips/horns.

Question...are the existing back up lights compatible with the GT valance? Hoping to install existing back up lights to the new valance.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
The back up lights are the same.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
Spend a couple dollars and get new body gaskets, and maybe even lens gaskets, and keep left and right identified. The look similar, but are different.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I did the conversion also, everything was a direct on/off bolt replacement other than the bumper guards. Are you going with OEM style trumpets? I went with the Scott Drake premium ones. So far so good, I did not like the flutter the vents in my trumpets sounded, it created a puff puff sound. I took a set of pliers and bent them a bit more vertical and it sounds better. Again, if you go with trumpets, the proper distance they go out from what I learned, is that the weld line between the exhaust tube and shiny trumpet, lines up with the lower edge of the exit hole in the valance.

i

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
74 Posts
if you go with trumpets, the proper distance they go out from what I learned, is that the weld line between the exhaust tube and shiny trumpet, lines up with the lower edge of the exit hole in the valance.
I am in the process of doing this as well, I have the GT valance installed, and purchased the trumpets, but am going to get a muffler shop to install them. I had read that they should stick out about 1-1/2" from the top, and I just went and checked, and your suggestion would put it about 2", so pretty close.

·
Registered
420 Posts
When fitting the GT valance, take your time fitting it so the seams are nice and tight. My buddy did it when he converted to the GT valance and it looks really nice.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
I am in the process of doing this as well, I have the GT valance installed, and purchased the trumpets, but am going to get a muffler shop to install them. I had read that they should stick out about 1-1/2" from the top, and I just went and checked, and your suggestion would put it about 2", so pretty close.
Good luck getting any muffler shop to place trumpet tips accurately, let alone "by the book."
The Ford diagram has them pretty far out there. I like them closer in. (two inches back from a plumb line dropped down from the rear-most edge of the bumper)

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
74 Posts
Good luck getting any muffler shop to place trumpet tips accurately, let alone "by the book."
Thanks for the diagram, that helps. I think I will be okay as the previous owner ran 2'1/4" dual header exhausts that would of come out directly through the valance in the correct location, but they installed the tips that go down. I am going to see if they can adjust the brackets that are about 12" inward of the rear bumper to be adjustable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the conversion also, everything was a direct on/off bolt replacement other than the bumper guards. Are you going with OEM style trumpets? I went with the Scott Drake premium ones. So far so good, I did not like the flutter the vents in my trumpets sounded, it created a puff puff sound. I took a set of pliers and bent them a bit more vertical and it sounds better. Again, if you go with trumpets, the proper distance they go out from what I learned, is that the weld line between the exhaust tube and shiny trumpet, lines up with the lower edge of the exit hole in the valance.

i
Thanks for the info...hadn't thought about the bumper guards. GT's didn't have them so will probably take them off. I was planning on using the Scott Drake part. I have seen the trumpets without the louvers inside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

i
I am using the Scott Drake Trumpets...they make a model that has different louvers for 20% more flow and better sound. Will also be taking them to my exhaust guy since the existing pipes are below the valance and stick out past the rear valance so the pipes will have to be slightly modified for the trumpets and angle so they come out of the GT valance properly. Thanks for suggestion for the distancing!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
The repro valances don’t fit without some tweaking.

The brackets were shaped wrong and not straight.

look how they stick out compared to the original.

I cut them, aligned them and rewelded them on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts