Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
oven cleaner does wonders on the built up grease and gunk. Wear gloves and eye protection. Let it sit for a couple of hours then spray clean
Thanks for tip...it works great and I can rinse it off using a dinkey squirt bottle!! :D Question - what does it do to rubber??? Guess I'll find out!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Fenders off!!! Also took a scope camera and took a peak up in the cowl area through the drain hole and through the rubber plug hole. Except for some crap in there couldn't see any rust through. I'll investigate further tomorrow.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Stock exhaust manifolds
The knucklehead at the exhaust shop had cut off the flanges of the headers and welded them straight to
the exhaust
What are you saying ? On the one hand you said you had stock exhaust manifolds and now you are saying you had headers ? I don`t get it.

Having a hard time with cig lighter. Does the shield on the back screw off and then the unit comes out the front???
Yes

Can someone tell me what that stamp means??
That is the stamping date code,you should find them in lots of panels.

Also no need to ever cut wiring !

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
What are you saying ? On the one hand you said you had stock exhaust manifolds and now you are saying you had headers ? I don`t get it.

When I got the car it had stock manifolds - I put headers on it and that is when the shop welded them to the exhaust pipes.

Yes

That is the stamping date code,you should find them in lots of panels.

Also no need to ever cut wiring !

Sometimes you have to cut a PO's previous screwup!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Beginning the process of rebuilding the front end. I was really surprised when I found I didn't need a coil spring compressor to remove the coil springs. Once I pulled the shocks the P/S coil spring came right out and the D/S coil spring needed to be turned a little and it came right out. The replacement spring (Grab-A-Trac) is only 1/4" shorter, which is fine with me. didn't want a drastic lowering. The car already has a really nice stance.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Removed strut rods from car today. Looking at them it seems they are a little corroded at the front where they go through the bushings. What do you all think?? Replace them??

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Have pretty much all steering and suspension removed. Rubberized undercoating applied to fender wells. Tomorrow I start the process of climbing in the engine bay and giving it a good scrubbing.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I little update on progress...which has been kinda slow because of the freaking heat!!! Intake off and will begin process of cleaning it up. Not sure if this 302 has ever been rebuilt so I'm wondering what I'll find when I remove the heads. Depending on what I find will determine what I do. I would like to add some pep to the motor. Nothing radical just some additinal zip. I will inquire from the experts on this forum on how to do that when I find out what's underneath the heads. Removed CA smog crap. Removed shock tower brace mounts from shock towers. New one-piece export brace will be installed.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts