Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1966 Coupe with White Headliner and Red Trim Interior

225 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  richdowl
Folks,
I'm in the process of restoring my factory correct 66 GT Coupe. It has a factory installed white headliner along with the correct (25) Dark Red standard interior trim. I realize all 66 factory headliners were supposed to match the color of the interior trim and that there were exceptions or mistakes. My car was built at the Metuchen plant on the 3rd day of 66 production August 26th. I'm leaning towards replacing the white headliner with the correct Red headliner but I'm on the fence with replacing the headliner with an original white headliner. What would be the correct thing to do?
Thanks
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Some 1966 Mustang hardtops were built with standard red interior and a white headliner and white sun visors. This either did not happen, or was far less common with other interior colors. Most/all of the 1966 cars I've seen with a red interior and "not supposed to be white" headliner were painted black. What is the original exterior color of your car?

· Registered
1,510 Posts
Were 65’s like that too? Mine has the original white headliner but the rest was redone black. It’s a 65 A code coupe built Nov. 11th 64’ at San Jose.
I had a Q build code (March 65) car with a red bench seat and white headliner. The original paint was either yellow or white (thinking white) and it was a 289 auto Dearborn built car. I don't have a record of the color codes. Thinking the interior red was darker (not bright red) and it was coded 65c for the bench.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Folks,
I'm in the process of restoring my factory correct 66 GT Coupe. It has a factory installed white headliner along with the correct (25) Dark Red standard interior trim. I realize all 66 factory headliners were supposed to match the color of the interior trim and that there were exceptions or mistakes. My car was built at the Metuchen plant on the 3rd day of 66 production August 26th. I'm leaning towards replacing the white headliner with the correct Red headliner but I'm on the fence with replacing the headliner with an original white headliner. What would be the correct thing to do?
Thanks
Yes the exterior is Raven Black Color Code (A). From my investigations, in 65 all coupes had a white or Parchment Headliner regardless of the interior color it was the 66 model year where they provided a matching color headliners to the interior trim color code in my case it would have been color code (25) dark red not white. I admit, my investigations may have been incomplete or wrong but I've spent a considerable amount of time researching this.

· Registered
54 Posts
As the former owner of a 1966 Mustang hardtop with red interior and white headliner, I would be interested in knowing why Ford built some cars this way in spite of advertising color keyed headliners. Regarding the original question, since the factory installed headliner was white, the more correct choice would be to keep the white (as it would be incorrect to correct the incorrect). If nothing else, it could lead to an interesting discussion.

· Registered
89 Posts
Folks,
Thanks

When was your car scheduled to be built or the VIN? At this point I'm guessing the answer might be December

And yes the 65 interiors have no relationship to the question - different "animal"

· Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
1,135 Posts
I’m no Mustang history guru but thought I read that all 65s had a parchment headliner. 66 Started the color headliner option. Not claiming as fact - just thought I read that….

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As the former owner of a 1966 Mustang hardtop with red interior and white headliner, I would be interested in knowing why Ford built some cars this way in spite of advertising color keyed headliners. Regarding the original question, since the factory installed headliner was white, the more correct choice would be to keep the white (as it would be incorrect to correct the incorrect). If nothing else, it could lead to an interesting discussion.
Well said and thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts