Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The glass is seperating from the metal bracket on my '66 Mustang deluxe inside day/night mirror. I see that there is a bead of glue behind the glass that holds it to the metal part. Has anyone out there ever had this problem with the glass seperating from the metal part of the inside mirror? any solutions? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If you can get the mirror out without breaking it just clean it up and bed it back in with clear silicone. You will need o use a little finesse in wiping off the excess silicone and then lay it flat for a few days untill the sealer is completely cured.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This happened to the mirror on my vette. I didn't even notice it was coming loose. I went over a bump and the glass popped out, landed on my console and broke in three pieces. It's a date coded mirror and an original is $100 plus if you can find one. That's what's great about the mustang. At least you can afford to fix it. I would try to carefully remove the glass and repair it as stated above.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I've been taking these apart for years. I have found mirrors from other big fords and swap tham into a mustang bracket. If you take a fine knife or something similar, you can go around the edges and gently pry the metal away from the mirror. This takes awhile and you have to be careful that you don't chip the glass. Once it's apart enough, the mirror will come out. You'll find a piece of cardboard that they cut from almost any source (I've found pieces of a cereal box that was the right thickness.) I guess this is to keep it from rattling. I'd also recommed you coat the edges with clear nail polish to elimate or stop silver virus. This is where the edges start turning black from oxidation. You'll get this problem on any type of mirror, especially the bathroom. When you are ready to re-assemble, put the mirror back in and get a plastic or other soft hammer and gently tap all around the edges to swedge the mirror back in. This also takes time, as you will bend it only slightly and keep going around and bend it more with each pass. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts