Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here...does anyone have any tips on how to go about replacing the (rear) door glass track run mohair/felt material? I have a kit similar to the one from CJP (door glass track run repair kit, rear).

The 'felt' has an adhesive backing, so I am thinking in may be a PITA to install, but hey, maybe I'm wrong! Seems to me that once the backing paper is off the adhesive, it's going to be a challenge to get it in evenly around the three sides it needs to stick to as well as sealing nicely right into the angled corners of the track. Also, do I do the channel first, then the L-shaped bits last or round the other way?

I'd prefer to not go with a whole new pre-assembled track, as (1) I already have the felt, and (2) the metal is in great shape and I want to keep the car as original as possible.

I did a search before posting this, but haven't found anyone detailing this install.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
Cam

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check this month's issue of car craft. They do that very repair.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just completed doing mine last night using the material from NPD.
The material they sell is not wide enough to overlap the tops, or even cover both of the sides, and that is without any overlap at the top.
I wound up putting one piece in, and then fitting another piece to complete the wrap.
I used the headliner contact adhesive from CJ's because it was easier to brush it on and get better coverage than to spray on the 3M adhesive.
Except for the lack of material width, the job was easy and fun.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I was looking at rebuilding both of mine...one of them could have been usable, but the other was really bad. When I looked at the cost of getting the felt & glue/applicator and the hassle of cleaning out the old felt (I didn't think it would be fun), I just bought new ones from NPD. They fit fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Sounds like different experiences depending on the supplier. There's more than enough material on mine (from Mustangs Unlimited I believe), but I'm just wondering how to wrangle the adhesive backing etc. The Hod Rod link is for window regulators...I'm using my originals as they appear to be in good shape, but it is useful nonetheless.
Cam

·
Registered
178 Posts
I need to do mine as well and have been giving thought to the install.

I haven't tried yet but this is what I came up with.

Take a razor blade and cut the paper backing in to 3 long pieces without cutting the felt.
Pull about an inch of backing off and cut off the felt leaving three little flaps of paper.
Remove the centre strip of paper
Insert the felt in the track and press against the back
Now use the paper flaps to pull the backing off the sides while pressing the felt on

I have no idea if this will work well. Lol. Good luck

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yeah, applying the felt is is tricky. I find that it is best to start on one side, then do the center, and work on the last side rolling the excess material over the edge. If you try to work from the center first, I found that the material would not lay flush within the corners. I used a couple of wooden paint stirring sticks to work into the corners. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Sounds like I thought - a bit tricky! Uncle buck, that sounds like a good theory, but as Image98 suggests, it might be tough getting it into the corners. I think it would probably be easier if they were installed using a glue rather than adhesive backing. That way it would probably allow for some 'trial and error' during the install. Doesn't help at this point for me though!

Will let you know how I get on with mine for future reference.
Cam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts