Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1966 Fastback I'm trying to figure out if this engine is the original and what the numbers on the tag mean. Have not been able to get it running yet it just backfires through the carburetor but doesn't try to start it I have already changed plugs wires points and set the timing according to piston pain at top dead center but I still get a single pop from the carburetor and that's it. Can someone tell me what this tag means.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not sure what the tag numbers are all about but the block should have a build date stamp on it. Won’t tell you it’s the original for sure but if it predates your car build date it’s possible. See the thread below for info on the date stamp location and decoding.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That says:
289 C code 1966 change level 9
Built September 65 (5-J) 236-S is the engine code number, 289 with a 2 bbl carb

·
Registered
954 Posts
Your engine should have a build date stamped on a machined flat on the block just forward of the left head. You can find a picture of the location by researching "Ford 289 engine build date code". This number should affirm whether the engine has been replaced. There's also a casting date on the block (hidden behind the starter).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you to everyone that replied at least I know some information on the motor. now I just have to see if the car matches

·
Dimples
4,853 Posts
thank you to everyone that replied at least I know some information on the motor. now I just have to see if the car matches
I suppose you could try and see if it matches up roughly with the other dates on the car, but with a C code, I'm not sure how much that matters. If it's a 66 C code car, that's about as close as anyone is going to care about as far as originality.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
I just picked up a 1966 Fastback I'm trying to figure out if this engine is the original and what the numbers on the tag mean. Have not been able to get it running yet it just backfires through the carburetor but doesn't try to start it I have already changed plugs wires points and set the timing according to piston pain at top dead center but I still get a single pop from the carburetor and that's it. Can someone tell me what this tag means.
Your timing is way off, or it wouldn't be popping through the carb. Either that, or the wires are laced on wrong. If the distributor is 180° off, it would still match the timing mark, but would only backfire. I've done that myself a few times. Check the firing order vis-a-vis the wire routing, then check that the engine is at 6° BTDC on the #1 compression stroke. Best way to check that is to look at the valves on the #1 cylinder, valve cover off.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
I once wasn't paying attention as a teen and put the wires on a cap in the correct firing order, but in the wrong direction. Haha!
I had a magic show and barely had any eyebrows after the unburnt fuel from cranking it finally touched off when one of those intake valves was open. WHOOOPS !!!

Reactions: Woodchuck
1 - 9 of 9 Posts