Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the correct way to aim the foglights and how should they be aimed? Mine are aimed up.. enough that it shines through the back window of suvs (I don't have a problem with that, I'm tired of them driving right behind me shining their foglights in my mirrors). The police aren't exactly too thrilled with it though.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
They are fog lamps, with a wide flat beam. They should be aimed to fill in the area below the low beams. Also work great in the rain. The assembly manual shows the aiming pattern in detail, if you need to do it 'by the numbers'.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Just loosen the fairly large attaching nut under the foglight - and on a dark night on a deserted flat road aim it so the beam is low and flat, ie. parallel with the ground; not tipping up and not digging into the ground either.
Then tighten the nut , repeat with the other bulb and the night time road is yours.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool.. That's gonna be difficult to do in Pittsburgh. lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
Cool.. That's gonna be difficult to do in Pittsburgh. lol
If you have a driveway longer than about 20' you are golden. Just wait 'till dark and aim your car at the garage door, the side of your neighbor's house you hate, your house...

One time a long time ago I drove behind a grocery store and used their wall. They usually will have a large patch of empty wall and room enough to turn a semi-truck around. The trick is that it needs to be relatively dark (no lights on the building) so you can clearly see the beams. Bring some chalk with you to mark the center of the beams at various distances, along with where your front tires were. That lets you check your aim over a longer distance.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Been a long time since I was auto inspector in Va. IIRC low beams had to drop 4" in 25' and fog light were 10" in 25'. Of course that is easy to do with a machine to check them. If you can get the car pretty level and say 8' from a wall that you could maybe see the center of the beam hitting the wall and estimate about 3 3/8" drop from the center of the fog lights. If that gets you close you could fine tune them then.
Oh yeah the low beams had to move to the right as they dropped, so it would not hurt for the fog light to move a little to the right also.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
The do-it-yourself method works even better of you take a beach towel to block the light you aren't adjusting.

·
Premium Member
10,944 Posts
i use GE L4314 250 watt landing lights and aim them straight ahead for the best pattern on a road out side of town with a long straight. the GE L4509 100 watt landing lights work good to. the neat thing is they are FACTORY lights and the fuzz doesnt require covers on these like they do on aftermarket off road driving lights here in cali. if you use the landing lights use a relay. unplug one light and adjust and then visa versa with the other light. dont tighten the nut too tight , i did one time and cracked the pot metal bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
All my foglight parts are original except the wiring. I have an original pair of amber bulbs in. And my driveway is anything but flat. Its sloped, very steeply, down hill, and it is asphalt laid in 1973. As for the idea of using a neighbor that I hates house.... I would so enjoy that. Our families have been fighting (well he does stupid stuff, we ignore him). He is currently 1 infraction from being evicted from the township for harassament. lol

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Ah, they may be standard lamps, but Ford didn't use amber.

·
Premium Member
10,944 Posts
several of my 65-66 GT mustangs that i bought back in the 70's had amber bulbs and i know a few had clears. i got a set of clear ones that my dad loaded in my car last year i'll have to see if they are original ford parts.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
They are not Ford parts. They were, and still are, GE. The Ford factory installed clear bulbs. Since these are generic, and available over the counter, well, I can remember seeing amber bulbs in the late 60's.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The bulbs aren't stamped with Ford. I'll take a look to see how they are stamped, but I know they are originals with the FOG script on the bottom.

And Ford did have amber fog lamps. I know someone who's 1965 fastback came with standard fog lamps. He just sold the car at hershey this past summer. It is a 1965 fastback, with its original vintage burgandy paint, it had the woodgrain (but not pony upholstery), disc brakes, 271hp 289, 4 speed toploader, limited slip dif, and amber fog lamps, all from the factory. The car has it's original build sheet and window sticker. It basically had all the GT options, but it was built 5 months before the GT package was available.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The bulbs aren't stamped with Ford. I'll take a look to see how they are stamped, but I know they are originals with the FOG script on the bottom.
You can also get reproduction bulbs with FOG in the glass.

And Ford did have amber fog lamps. I know someone who's 1965 fastback came with standard fog lamps. He just sold the car at hershey this past summer. It is a 1965 fastback, with its original vintage burgandy paint, it had the woodgrain (but not pony upholstery), disc brakes, 271hp 289, 4 speed toploader, limited slip dif, and amber fog lamps, all from the factory. The car has it's original build sheet and window sticker. It basically had all the GT options, but it was built 5 months before the GT package was available.
Since GT options weren't available to the general public prior to GT production started (March 1965), then this was probably a special Ford in-house car similar to the Henry Ford convertible. With that in mind, it doesn't mean that Ford put amber fogs in running line cars. I haven't seen a documented original car that rolled off the assembly line with amber fog bulbs. I also have not seen an order form that provides a CLEAR/AMBER fog bulb color option.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
You could buy crates of these, clear or yellow. They haven't changed in 50 years.
They say "FOG" at the bottom, and "GE" in the center, like this:

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
FWIW, you could also buy clear driving 4 inch lights that fit in the fog housings as well. Cibie, as well as other manufacturers, made them. Being halogens, they were much brighter than the sealed beam factory fogs, but relays were a good idea if you used them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh well, I still like the amber foglamps better, so I'm keeping them. :)

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Oh well, I still like the amber foglamps better, so I'm keeping them. :)
I like the look of the amber, too, but I suspect the white ones work better in the rain. I have a lot of experience with using them in the rain, but very rarely in fog.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think they work brilliantly in the fog. I've driven in foggy Pittsburgh using them, and I've used them in foggy Kansas, and I have to say, the amber works better than the clear ones on my mum's suv.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Anything would work better than the factory fogs on my SUV. The white fogs on my Mustang are 10 times better. We just have very, very little fog around here. Lotsa rain, though, so I'm real familiar with how they work in that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts