Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My farther found one, i was wondering how rare it is. Any thoughts would be deeply appreciated!

·
Registered
34,686 Posts
No way to tell. Production records for Mustangs built before 1967 were destroyed in 1979. Basically, you're looking at a GT hardtop with the deluxe interior. I would say under 10%, though. Maybe under 5%. What color?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No way to tell. Production records for Mustangs built before 1967 were destroyed in 1979. Basically, you're looking at a GT hardtop with the deluxe interior. I would say under 10%, though. Maybe under 5%. What color?

U for Tahoe Turquoise, thank you for helping me out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
U for Tahoe Turqoise

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Should be a very pretty car! Don't worry so much about rarity, as it does not always equate to desirability, but I think the car would have a lot of both !! Mine isn't a GT and I won't try to "fake" it, but I won't argue it sure would be nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,686 Posts
That's well down into single digits, then. TT is an excellent color, especially with the turquoise/white interior.

·
Registered
34,625 Posts
One thing you want to do, from a "value perspective" is verify the provenance of it being a "real" GT (factory PIO). Without a "buck tag", original sales documents or documented/present body features such as originally-equipped rear floor reinforcement plates and rear subframe rail anti-crush tubes for factory dual exhaust there is little to stop someone from claiming it's a GT when it wasn't one originally. Nice color combinations and should be a sharp looker. Just bear in mind that with a million plus early Mustangs made that "rarity" is a subjective term. Five percent of production of a Mustang is less rare than the entire production number of many other complete model lines.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I know that everyone who buys a classic would like to find that it's a rare make/model. The odds are millions to one that isn't going to happen. It's fairly easy to build a "rare-appearing" classic but without all the proper credentials it's still a look-alike.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If the fifth digit of the VIN is not an A or K then it is not a GT. If it is an A or K more digging is needed. If it is a K it is considered rare and desirable regardless of it being a GT.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's well down into single digits, then. TT is an excellent color, especially with the turquoise/white interior.

Thanks for getting back to me. The interior trim is F7 , parchment with aqua trim(luxury). Will that make a difference as well?

Quick question where do you check if the paint job is rare or not?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
55,938 deluxe interior hardtops were built in `66 out of a total production run of 607,568 -- less than 10%. Sometimes people ratio out how many were factory GTs. A four speed makes it less common. I have a 65B myself but it a lowly Sprint 200 model. You definitely don't see many factory GTs with deluxe interior. Dean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
55,938 deluxe interior hardtops were built in `66 out of a total production run of 607,568 -- less than 10%. Sometimes people ratio out how many were factory GTs. A four speed makes it less common. I have a 65B myself but it a lowly Sprint 200 model. You definitely don't see many factory GTs with deluxe interior. Dean
Thank you for the info, another gentlemen told me that it depends on the color as well, my farther is a U (tahoe turquoise) with F7 parchment with aqua trim (luxury)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the info, , my farther is a U (tahoe turquoise) with F7 parchment with aqua trim (luxury) does the interior trim make a difference on the pricing?

·
Registered
34,625 Posts
Thank you for the info, , my farther is a U (tahoe turquoise) with F7 parchment with aqua trim (luxury) does the interior trim make a difference on the pricing?
Unless it's "Concours Restored", an original "Survivor" in decent shape, or has some kind of unique provenance, like used in a movie, etc., I would think exterior color and interior trim, on a '65-66 make absolutely no difference in the value or pricing as either can be changed and a replacement data plate produced to match. I dare say that the number of Mustang's with the "GT" (PI) option and the number of Wimbledon White Mustangs continues to "grow" every year. LOL. Likewise, unless you plan on a "Concours Restoration" and have original documentation showing the color and trim it makes no difference what [factory] colors you use, although there are some that are more attractive, generally..... you may get more for a Rangoon Red car than a Silver Frost, etc.

On somewhat of a tangent, don't get intimidated by someone's claim of "rarity". They made over a million '65-66 Mustangs. For comparison, in 21 years of production, 1991 to 2011, Ford made about the same number of Crown Victoria's.... can you imagine someone claiming they have a "rare" one? LOL. There were so many different options and accessories available that you really could make your car somewhat "unique" but, IMHO, claims of rarity for a '65-73 Mustang should extend to body style, drivetrain, exterior color if special paint and that's about it... I'm sure there is someone out there that owned that rare '66 Mustang 2+2 with a 200-1V, a Dagenham 4-speed, with 1-speed wipers, radio delete, bench seat and a Rotunda tissue dispenser....

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
How about a 66 wearing its original colors inside and out, 5 original styled steel wheels, 289, C4, front discs, banded w/s and tinted glass, 2 speed wipers with washer, remote mirror, Rally Pac, p brake warning, deluxe belts with s/b warning, headlamp buzzer, ash tray lamp, full length console, rear defogger, rear speaker with Studiosonic reverb, junior tissue dispenser, locking glove box, remote trunk release, litter basket, clothes rod, underhood and trunk lamps, and retractable trouble lamp?

·
Dimples
3,855 Posts
How about a 66 wearing its original colors inside and out, 5 original styled steel wheels, 289, C4, front discs, banded w/s and tinted glass, 2 speed wipers with washer, remote mirror, Rally Pac, p brake warning, deluxe belts with s/b warning, headlamp buzzer, ash tray lamp, full length console, rear defogger, rear speaker with Studiosonic reverb, junior tissue dispenser, locking glove box, remote trunk release, litter basket, clothes rod, underhood and trunk lamps, and retractable trouble lamp?
One of one! Must be a quarter million dollar car.

·
Registered
34,686 Posts
Somebody really went through the list checking boxes. I've never even seen the trouble lamp in a Mustang. Dunno if that changes the value, but the reverb and defogger probably do.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've had the pleasure of owning one. Drove it for over ten years. It was a fun sporty car.

Your parchment interior color scheme is gorgeous. Enjoy your ride!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts