Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello as my second project car I have a 1966 t bird with a 428 in it. I took the starter out got it tested works fin. New spark plugs, new starter solenoid, an put my mustangs battery in it to try an see if it would make any attempt to turn over. So no lights even kick on, not the door lights or flashers, as well as when you turn the key nothing happens not even a noise. I know I have to trace back an clean all the ground wires an see if possibly dirty ground somewhere but if I do that an it doesn’t work what else would you suggest? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
Start at the battery with a test light or voltmeter and see how far downstream along the wiring harness you have power.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Take a set of jumper cables and hook one end to a hood hinge and the other end to something metal on the engine. See if it cranks. If it does you have a bad body to engine ground.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Look for a fusible link in the main power wire coming off the battery + side of the solenoid. If that fusible link has blown, you have no power downstream of the solenoid. Temporarily bypass the fusible link and see if anything electrical comes on. If so, replace the fusible link and continue diagnosing the reason the link blew.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts