Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback 289 4BBL
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time user here. I just acquired a "driver" 1966 Mustang GT Fastback that I am looking to make as original as possible. It has had minor work done to it and I will eventually have to give it a new paint job. Nothing major just needs a little touch-up. I'm starting to purchase the parts needed to get it looking pretty and I am curious if there is a guide to show original placement of badges on the exterior. When the car was repainted last time, some of the holes were filled and I would like to get them back in the original locations. Looking at photos online, I can get a general idea, but I'd like to be a little more precise than "close" Anyone know where a guy could find the placement measurements? Looks like I am missing the GT Emblem, 289 Emblem, hood Ford, and trunk Mustang. Any others I am missing? There are other things, like the fog lights that I need to get too, but I'm mostly just looking for the emblems at the moment. Thanks!

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
This will do the job…

BTW, there is no "MUSTANG" emblem on the trunk for 65-66. The hood should be easy, the holes should be visible from the underside.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will do the job…

BTW, there is no "MUSTANG" emblem on the trunk for 65-66.
Fantastic, That's even better about the trunk, and why I was asking before ruining something. Thanks so much for the help, and of course, I could just look under the hood for the front...doh!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This will do the job…

BTW, there is no "MUSTANG" emblem on the trunk for 65-66. The hood should be easy, the holes should be visible from the underside.

Anything for the 289 on the front of the fender?

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
It's not real clear, but it's on the paper template I posted. Click the image, pay the $16.16, and use it to lay out the car. You might even be able to see the location from under the fender, if you remove the front splash shield. Same with the GT if you remove the rear splash shield.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not real clear, but it's on the paper template I posted. Click the image, pay the $16.16, and use it to lay out the car. You might even be able to see the location from under the fender, if you remove the front splash shield. Same with the GT if you remove the rear splash shield.
Thanks, I found the template for sale and ordered it already. I suppose a google search would have done the same thing. Just figuring out resources where to start looking for things. I appreaciate the help. Im sure I can locate the location pretty easily once I start poking around.

·
Dimples
5,667 Posts
Based solely on the photos, it would appear that that is not a GT. Does it have any of the other identifiers? Hole in the dash for fog light switch, etc?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based solely on the photos, it would appear that that is not a GT. Does it have any of the other identifiers? Hole in the dash for fog light switch, etc?
It has the fog light switch and GT gas cap. I also have the OEM badges that are faded and chipped that were not reinstalled when the repaint was done. That's what I'm going off of.

·
Dimples
5,667 Posts
It has the fog light switch and GT gas cap. I also have the OEM badges that are faded and chipped that were not reinstalled when the repaint was done. That's what I'm going off of.
Interesting. Quite odd to delete the badges and especially the GT fog lights.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. Quite odd to delete the badges and especially the GT fog lights.
I am not sure the reason to not reinstall the badges or fog lights. I have part of the original fog light assembly, but it is not complete, and the chrome is also pitted, so I am having to piece that together as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not sure the reason to not reinstall the badges or fog lights. I have part of the original fog light assembly, but it is not complete, and the chrome is also pitted, so I am having to piece that together as well.
Also, has the dual trumpet exhaust in the back and disc brakes on the front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts