Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback 289 4BBL
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to keep my 66 GT as close to stock as possible and I was curious if anyone knows if the car came from the factory with the white stripe on the bottom? Was it just an option? Did they come in other colors stock? Attached picture has the stripe I'm thinking of adding (not my car, obviously). Any insight would be appreciated!

Sorry for the ignorance here, but Google is no help on this!:LOL:

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Yes the stripe was a part of the GT package, available in limited colors that were supposed to coordinate with the body colors.

Reactions: Selftaught308

·
Registered
115 Posts
@corfel81 from what I know, the gt's came from factory with white, red, gold, and blue as an option.. believe black was also an option but not sure on that or what sub-models/packages came with what.. but those colors I know are factory. wouldn't put it past me that it came with it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@corfel81 from what I know, the gt's came from factory with white, red, gold, and blue as an option.. not sure what submodels or packages came with what.. but those colors I know are factory. wouldn't put it past me that it came with it?
Ok, thanks, I was leaning to white but thinking maybe black. Knowing they didn't have a black option, I'll go with white to keep it closer to stock.

·
Dimples
4,826 Posts
There’s some bad info in here.

Yes, stripes were standard with the GT equipment group.

Not only was black available for GT stripes, they were standard on Candyapple Red, though white was available on cars that came with parchment interior.

White stripes were standard on Signalflare Red.

Gold was only available on the Shelby GT350H.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There’s some bad info in here.

Yes, stripes were standard with the GT equipment group.

Not only was black available for GT stripes, they were standard on Candyapple Red, though white was available on cars that came with parchment interior.

White stripes were standard on Signalflare Red.

Gold was only available on the Shelby GT350H.
Thanks for the info. So, since my color is candyapple, my car should have black like this photo?

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
The black stripes with some redline tires on Styled Steel wheels would be MANLY. Especially with a black or red interior. But if you have a white or parchment interior, white stripes would tie it together.

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Mine originally had white stripes but will going with black. A few
months ago, I found a picture fairly close to how mine will look, same color and wheels. Mine will sit lower, R apron and tint

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, thanks all for the suggestions and help, I will be going with white mainly because I like the pop on the red. I also figure, for $25 it could almost be changed out with the seasons, so maybe depending on my mood, I can switch between black and white, because the black looks so much more "muscley," is that a word?

I'm about a month away from being "done" with this project, can't wait to just drive it and not worry about the next thing on the list?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The black stripes with some redline tires on Styled Steel wheels would be MANLY. Especially with a black or red interior. But if you have a white or parchment interior, white stripes would tie it together.
Black interior, went with white though. If I really don't think it looks right, I'll swap them out for black. I didn't think of all the stuff to do this would be the hardest decision :LOL:

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Being a little different is cool. That's what Mustangs are about!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts