Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to go look at a 66 GT coupe A code and the guy is saying it has the 289/4 barrel carb w/ a 3 speed stick trani?,supposedly has a posi rear which I would think is a 8",anything else different from a 65 to a 66,also is there anything different from the fastback to a coupe,I know to look for the fog lamp punch out ,exhaust hangers brackets,does the rear seat have to come out to see the extra plating for that?and did they come with drum brakes or just disc w/ the larger master cylinder,thanks,Pete

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
the rear seat bottom needs to come out to see the reinforcemant plates. the rear will be a 8", the hipo came with the 9". fastback and coupe GT has same stuff. all the GT mustangs i had came with 4 speeds. disc brakes are part of the GT package and came with the gig round masser cylinder and proportionong valve. from all the people that have done research not all fog lamp holes were punched , some were drilled and some only had 1 hole and used the battery cooling opening for the other wire. one guy has a car with one punched hole and the other wire run through the headlight wire hole.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
3 speeds were the standard tranny behind ALL engines -- the A/T & 4 speed were always optional.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
I agree. The K code always had a 4-speed, or optional C4 in 66-67, but the A code GT came standard with the 3-speed.

I used to think all sorts of stuff. Saw so many 351 2V/auto Grandés I thought for years that was the standard engine. Then I saw an "L" code 3-speed Grandé. Oops.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If it has a factory posi,the axle code on the data plate will be a letter,usually "A" (3.00) Non-posi factory code will be a number

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so I go look at the car,it has all the GT telltales,4 piston d/bbrakes,large sway bar,GT fog light switch w/lites,rear valance w/correct hangers,pony interior w/3speed,4 barrel motor,guy let me look at it without him being there,so the door tag and inner fender numbers match,I write downthe info on the door tag,go home and use the decoder site,all of it checks out,what I never seen before on the DSO it says :
NY(special order unit F),what does that mean?,also what does a coupe that needs restoration going for,last time it was registered was 1984,it has not been hacked up,typical rust,floors and sub frames are really good condition,thanks for any information,Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts