Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hmmm, Not too easy.
On a quick look I would say that is not A hipo 289. I'm looking at the distributor,harmonic balancer,exhaust manifold, The number on the cylinder head looks like a 12.(hipos have 19,20,or 21. typically) .That said as far as correct for a G.T. Well GT's could be A or K codes so the motor could be correct for an A code. As far as the car,It does appear to have the hole in the firewall for foglights and A disc brake master cylinder so It is possible that the car could be a g.t. However further investigation would be needed to authenticate the car and the engine.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The harmonic balancer looks wrong...But, I defer to more experienced "K" users.

Also, whats up with the motor mounts, they are not "hi-po" correct from what I can make out...

·
Registered
810 Posts
The harmonic balancer looks wrong...But, I defer to more experienced "K" users.

Also, whats up with the motor mounts, they are not "hi-po" correct from what I can make out...
The motor mounts are standard in the photo.In 66 Hipos used the same mounts as the other v8's.

BTW The motor might be earlier than 66 , or at least the timing chain cover is, It's the smooth type that uses the aluminum water pump.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It may be a hipo long block, but there is not one external hipo piece on that engine. Looking at the oiler on the distributor and the timing cover, you've got reason to think it may be a 5 bolt block.

Pull the valve covers and look for spring pockets cast into the heads and pull the pan to see if it has hipo main caps. That's 20 minutes of work that will tell you if you've got any traces of a hipo motor.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It may be a hipo long block, but there is not one external hipo piece on that engine. Looking at the oiler on the distributor and the timing cover, you've got reason to think it may be a 5 bolt block.

Pull the valve covers and look for spring pockets cast into the heads and pull the pan to see if it has hipo main caps. That's 20 minutes of work that will tell you if you've got any traces of a hipo motor.

Also look for two dots above the 289...indicates HiPo heads.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Definitely not a HIPO 289. Wrong distributor, balancer, exhaust manifolds, and heads. Sum it all up and it is very unlikely that the internals are correct for a HIPO as well.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Definitely not a HIPO 289. Wrong distributor, balancer, exhaust manifolds, and heads. Sum it all up and it is very unlikely that the internals are correct for a HIPO as well.
I agree. It also wears a PS crank pulley, something the 65-66 K code was not offered with.

·
Premium Member
10,940 Posts
the car has a disc brake master cylinder,looks like fog light wire holes are their. looks like the car is a A code GT. the engine has the wrong balalcer,exhaust manifolds, distributor to be a hipo. hipo had dual point and "no" vacuum advance. back in the day(and even today) a lotta guys think that all 4V 289's are hipo's. i met a few people that swore that there 302 2V was a boss 302 !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts