Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my '66 coupe installed a mirror that ended up scratching the driver side glass because I'm guessing it was installed incorrectly. However, the mirror looks to be in the correct spot and if it's any further away from the glass it would angle in towards the glass due to the shape of the body panel. It's got me wondering if perhaps it was a repro mirror that wasn't the right size? Any ideas/tips on proper placement of the mirror? You can see by way of the gasket where it was placed before.

And while I'm on the subject of these mirrors....I've noticed that sometimes you see a passenger side mirror and sometimes you don't. What's correct?

Also, suggestion on the best place to get new glass for that door? Thinking a local glass shop will be as cheap as a mustang supply house.

Thanks.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It looks to me like the car originally had a manual standard mirror and someone swapped on a deluxe remote one. Could we see a picture of the mirror you removed?

I have been told that ALL mirrors were optional in 1965-66 but I don't choose to believe it 100%-the DeLuxe ones were part of the visibility group that consisted of an INSIDE day/night mirror, 2 speed wipers, and the REMOTE outside DeLuxe mirror.

As for replacement glass I HIGHLY recommend PS Auto Glass-they can supply correct glass, date coded if you want and correct logos too!!

http://www.psautoglass.com/

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Here's the actual pictures of the offending mirror.
That's not original, that's a C3RZ Service Replacement.

The holes in your door indicate it was once equipped with a remote mirror.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. It seems this mirror is bigger than the original and I just need to order up some new ones. I noticed there were two different "grades" of mirrors sold through NPD and wondered if anyone had any insight as to whether the more expensive was worth the upgrade.

Also, any thoughts on what the mirror configuration (Driverside on vs mirrors on both sides vs no mirrors) was standard? I've seen restorations across the board so hard to say.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
My brother's 64.5 'vert had no outside mirrors. I've got period pictures of my father's then-new '65 coupe which was mirror-less as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts