Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have replaced your mechanical fuel pump in you 6 cylinder Mustang, what brand of fuel pump did you use and where did you purchase it?

I have tried two different brands and neither one would work. The first one was purchased from O’Reilly Auto Parts (Precision - Model M16259). The second was purchased from Autozone (Delphi - Model MF0095). They both mount to the block without any problem but will not pump the fuel. I can put the old pump back on and even though it leaks, it does pump fuel and the engine does run. I included a photo of the old pump for reference.

I’m beyond frustrated at this point so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
F1E1F67B-E28D-44D4-BB67-84760BF399EF.jpeg

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hooking the lines up correctly?
If you put the new pump on and put your finger on the inlet while cranking, does it suck your finger in?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
839 Posts
Are the arms correct? Put your old pump and new one side by side and compare.

Or what Woodchuck said. Carter is less expensive or Airtex. National Parts Depot carries both.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hooking the lines up correctly?
If you put the new pump on and put your finger on the inlet while cranking, does it suck your finger in?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Checked and the lines were hooked up correctly. When I put my finger on the inlet it does not suck my finger. That's what is so frustrating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the arms correct? Put your old pump and new one side by side and compare.

Or what Woodchuck said. Carter is less expensive or Airtex. National Parts Depot carries both.
The body of each of the new pumps are very similar. The arms look the same with the exception of the small medal piece attached to the bottom of the arm on the old pump. See photo. I assumed the new pumps I purchased may have just been a new design of the pump. The arms on the new ones appear to be at the same angle which is the reason I thought it may have just been a new design. I'll have to check NPD since that is where I just purchased my new fuel lines from.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
6 cylinder fuel pumps attach to block with fuel fitting on top of pump, unlike, a V8 where fuel fitting are downward on bottom of pump. I assume you already know this as, your old pump, “should have been installed correctly“, but I’m just throwing this out there. I bought a “rebuilt” 6 cylinder 200 motor off Craigslist. After rebuild, a smart person installed pump upside down. The “pad” on pump arm was not on cam lobe, and they ran it like that and trashed the lobe for fuel pump. Luckily I found it before install, an replaced the cam.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
New manual fuel pumps are often bone dry internally. Did you pour gas down the carb to pump line to prime the new pumps?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: It appears that the Delphi MF0095 I purchased from Autozone was not the correct part even though it was stamped with the right part number. I went to Summit Racing in Arlington, TX and took a look at their Delphi MF0095. It was a different part, but matched my the one I took off perfectly . . . right down to the metal strip mounted to the bottom of the pump arm.

Installed the new pump from Summit and it works perfectly. Moral of this story is to check parts carefully at the time of purchase. Lesson learned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts