Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting the AJE k member for my 1966 mustang. I really like that I can use foxbody steering and spindles, but it says I HAVE to use their coil overs and control arms. Can I get an aftermarket set of coils for a foxbody, and use those? Thanks guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are no provisions for traditional coil springs on the control arms. So you have to use struts with a coilover kit. Whether you use one of the available threaded body mustang specific struts or a replacement type mustang strut with a coilover kit is 6 of one or half a dozen of the other. I did one back in 2012 and used an old set of AVO struts from my old Fox Body race car with a coilover sleeve on it.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Before dropping the coin for the AJE, look at the roadstershop.com or the detroitspeed.com offerings. They both have a lot of development and science behind them. These are not M2 type suspensions, I think both of them use Corvette spindles.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Before dropping the coin for the AJE, look at the roadstershop.com or the detroitspeed.com offerings. They both have a lot of development and science behind them. These are not M2 type suspensions, I think both of them use Corvette spindles.
Ha, those are like 4x the price, completely different ballgame with Roadstershop or DS. I'm doing AJE and using SN 95 cc plates and foxbody coilovers. If your on facebook checkout my group "AJE Colt 65 classic fords" we have about 400 members all doing or interested in the swap. Lots of good info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Facebook group is great. Lots of good info there.

Ya, you must use the AJE lower control arms with the AJE k-member.
But, you can use coilovers for a Fox or SN95. The Fox coilovers are a bit shorter. If you use Fox coilovers, you'll need a set of caster/camber plates also. The AJE ones only work with AJE coilovers.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The Facebook group is great. Lots of good info there.

Ya, you must use the AJE lower control arms with the AJE k-member.
But, you can use coilovers for a Fox or SN95. The Fox coilovers are a bit shorter. If you use Fox coilovers, you'll need a set of caster/camber plates also. The AJE ones only work with AJE coilovers.
Not true, there is a guy in the group who left his aje cc plates and is running fox coilovers (strange).

·
Registered
51 Posts
The aje kit wasn’t really too expensive but i believe it uses a fox steering and everything else is off of a sn95. W this set up “what I’ve researched “ is u can go w wider rims up front and it’s more more sturdier then the mm2. If u do the mm2 u have to put some bracing in cause u cut out the towers.

·
Registered
569 Posts
AJE is a good choice. Just use their k member and A arms. There coil overs are junk and overpriced get some Bilstien shocks and maximum motorsports cc plates and you’ve got a great set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'd lean to agree with Harry. MM makes great go and turn quality stuff. I've been tempted for years to under go an AJE front. I could use a donor SN95 and it'd open up a lot of steering/brake and turbo options. I truly believe it to be the closest to a bolt in front clip for the buck to improve many future options. I say this with everything from Ridetech/RorT/GW/TP front ends and an "Extreme Iron NASA" 94 Cobra with MM chassis.

Caveat in my opinion: A GREAT working modded Vintage long/short A arm still rides better than my Griggs 11' on the road.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Ha, those are like 4x the price, completely different ballgame with Roadstershop or DS. I'm doing AJE and using SN 95 cc plates and foxbody coilovers. If your on facebook checkout my group "AJE Colt 65 classic fords" we have about 400 members all doing or interested in the swap. Lots of good info.
After installing the AJE kit I realized there’s no provision for a front sway bar, i’m hoping someone in your group has figured something out. Anything you can share? Sorry, I’m not on fakebook so I can’t search their pages.

Thanks, Clint

Oh, I asked AJE for direction on this and got crickets...

·
Registered
491 Posts
After installing the AJE kit I realized there’s no provision for a front sway bar, i’m hoping someone in your group has figured something out. Anything you can share? Sorry, I’m not on fakebook so I can’t search their pages.

Thanks, Clint

Oh, I asked AJE for direction on this and got crickets...
Stock bar (or aftermarket bigger) should work fine with longer end links. If you got the adjustable a-arms there are no provisions for end links, so you would need to fab up your own.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Stock bar (or aftermarket bigger) should work fine with longer end links. If you got the adjustable a-arms there are no provisions for end links, so you would need to fab up your own.
“Stock” for my ‘68, not the Fox body rack and pinion, correct?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'm usually fairly good when searching the net, but in this case I'm challenged to find Fox body, front coilover struts that include the bracket that mounts to the spindle. Any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Clint

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I'm usually fairly good when searching the net, but in this case I'm challenged to find Fox body, front coilover struts that include the bracket that mounts to the spindle. Any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Clint
Check with Maximum Motorsports. I used to have a Fox body that used their Koni coilover kit. Coil-Over Package, MM Dampers, 1979-1989 Mustang

1 - 20 of 34 Posts