Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone give me an idea of how much a 1966 Mustang Convert. is worth. It has alot of rust. The floor pans are gone. Quater panels are rusted. It is a 6 cyl, AT, PS. It has a center console and the dash and rear seat look good. The motor does not run but it was running when parked. The car is restorable but I am not sure how much it is really worth. Alot of metal would have to be replaced. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
613 Posts
for $400 you can't really lose.... But stop and consider your time/money/ability/expectations for the car and act accordingly.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'd pay more than $400 dollars for it myself. If only just for the 6 cyl. PS setup for my convertible. ::

You couldn't loose at under $1000 if it is complete. the special convertible parts would cover that if the car was deemed not worth restoring.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you're really keen on the 6 cylinder engine, I can give you about a hundred reasons why you should get an 8 instead. If you're going to get a $400 project car, you'll have a much easier time restoring an 8 cylinder. The parts are simply more available.

Besides, you're going to want a strong engine by the time you're done anyway.

Then again, if you're mostly interested in the convertible aspect, and you're going to replace everything anyway, this might be ideal for you.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hi Andy,

Well, I can give you about a hundred reasons why the 6 cyl isn't a bad deal to have. :)

If you want a real challenging project that will be very rewarding, are willing to spend more than just a few bucks, have the desire, abilities, equipment, and facility to do the metal replacement yourself, I'd go for it. Just don't embark on such a project without knowing it will be a bunch of work. It will probably need cowls replaced, full floors, trunk floor, door skins, fender repair, plus the quarters that are more apparent, and other rust spots that you never dreamed of. If you are not happy with the I6 after completion, you can always do a V8 conversion, but that's a couple more thousand bucks to do it right. If you think you're going to be a V8 kind of guy, it may be better to look around and find a more appropriate project, pay more for it and have it on the road much sooner.

Good Luck in whatever you choose to do!

·
Registered
762 Posts
For $400.00 you could easily quadruple your investment by parting it out.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
$400 is cheap if it is a complete car, but rusted. Keep in mind that rust repair is expensive if you hire someone to do it. See this link http://www.karmustang.com/resto1.htm for the details on major rust repair. If you can do it yourself, the parts are cheap, but if you hire someone the labor will cost WAY more than the car is worth when you are done.

---OR--- you could buy it for $400 and list it on EB^Y as a future Shelby clone. You may make out quite well.

jim

Good luck,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts