Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1966 Mustang Convertible -- Poor handling caused by Rim, Tire and Suspension Blocks?

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Flade 
Those twist-in coil spring spacers were the cheap way to "repair" sagging springs and they are surely part of your problems.
Another word of warning- those tires must be at least 40 years old as the D60-14 and G60-14 sizes have not been used in the past 40 years or more. I would not drive anywhere (even around the block) on those tires. The cost of repairs to a front fender or rear quarter panel when one of them comes apart will exceed the cost of a set of new tires.
As others have stated- you need to replace the complete suspension and steering system along with the rear axle on that car. The I6 (not V6) parts were not up to the task of handling V8 power. In making the swap to the V8 parts you will have 5 lug bolts on each wheel so your current wheels won't fit. Your dad will need to find some matching wheels (or as close to matching as possible) with 5 lugs.
If you don't have the ability to do the work yourselves post your location so somebody can advise you of a shop to do the work. I can guarantee you that there are shops out there that will tell you they know how to do it but they have never seen the shims used to adjust caster and camber on a '65/'66 Mustang and they will screw it up.
Since you are new to the Vintage Mustang scene please ask questions before doing anything so that we can save you a lot of money and headaches with the experience you will find on this website.

Thanks for the advice. I poked around a bit on the Suspension Parts on National Parts Depot and the amount of choice is overwhelming! Is there a specific kit or something that my Dad should be considering?
You don't need any of those fancy, high dollar suspension kits. You just need stock replacement parts including upper and lower control arms with ball joints, coil springs, steering center link and tie rod ends, pitman arm and idler arm. You will need to acquire a pair of '65/'66 V8 spindles, hubs and brakes and a '65/'66 V8 rear axle and brakes which is also called an 8" rear axle. You may as well replace the rear leaf springs while you are at it.
All of these parts are going to cost some money- at least $1000-$2000. Paying somebody to do all of the work is going to cost another $2000 or thereabouts. And you'll need new wheels and tires for another $1000-$2000. It won't be inexpensive!

1988-1992 Ford Rangers, Bronco IIs and Explorers came with a factory wheel that looks almost exactly like your American Racing wheels. They have the same 5 lug bolt pattern as the Mustang wheel. The Ranger/B II/Explorer wheel is available in 14" and 15" diameters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.